From Cinema Avant-garde to Inter-media
Bohdan ShumylovychCenter for Urban History
September 29, 2010 / 7.00 pm
Center for Urban History, Lviv
Bohdan Shumylovych surveyed significant works of avant-garde cinema in the first half of the twentieth century and analyzed elements of cinema language used in collage inter-media art and video art in the 1960’s. That presentation did not show the wide spectrum of themes and genres of video art, but clearly demonstrated the gradual development of art, irrespective of its media.
The program showing consisted of
- "Entr’acte" (1924), Director: René Clair (France)
- "Adventures of a Good Person" (1934) Directors: Stefan i Franciszka Themerson (Poland)
- "Traité de bave et d'éternité" (1951), Director: Izydor Isou (France)
- Selected Works of Stana Vanderbeeka (USA)
- "A LA MODE", 1959, 7 min.
- "Whiff of Death", 1963, 15 min.
- "Poetic Field №2", 1966, 6 min.
Lecture is a part of the lecture series "Opening the World of Art".
Сover Image: Fragment of Venom and Eternity (Traité de bave et d'éternité ) Isidore Isou, 1951.