Historical culture of Poland and Ukraine: on sources of (mis)understanding between neighbors
Conference room of the Center for Urban History
Welcome to the discussion and presentation of two books resulting from a Polish-Ukrainian international project "Historical Cultures of Poland and Ukraine in the Process of Transition" conducted by the Collegium Civitas and the Institute of Political Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences, with the support of the National Science Center (Kraków), in collaboration with the Center for Urban History
This edition "Historical Cultures of Poland and Ukraine. On the Sources of Misunderstandings Between Neighbors " / (Ed. by Tomasz Stryjek and Volodymyr Sklokin. Warsaw: Scholar; Collegium Civitas, 2021) and "Historical Discourse in the Media. Representations of the Past in the Polish and Ukrainian Media Sphere " (Ed. by. Barbara Markowska. Warsaw: Scholar; Collegium Civitas, 2021). Both books were published in Polish. The first book is also planned for print in English and Ukrainian.
The research concerned not only memory at the level of the entire society or commemoration practices, but also the role of school education, debates of public intellectuals, and media discourses. After all, are the misunderstandings between Poles and Ukrainians about the historical past so deep indeed?
Working languages – Ukrainian, Polish. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided at the event.
Discussion and presentation of books attended by:
- Tomasz Stryjek, Institute of Political Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences / Collegium Civitas
- Volodymyr Sklokin, Ukrainian Catholic University
- Grzegorz Motyka, Institute of Political Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Joanna Koneczna-Salamatin, University of Warsaw
- Barbara Markowska,Collegium Civitas
- Yaroslav Hrytsak, Ukrainian Catholic University
- Leonid Zashkilnyak, Ivan Franko Lviv National University
- Danylo Sudin, Ukrainian Catholic University