Kharkiv Identity: Visions of the City and its History as Identity-Building Factors
Oleksii MusiezdovKarazin Kharkiv National University
May 21, 2009 / 5.00 pm
Center for Urban History, Lviv
Oleksii Musiezdov, whose research has been supported by a grant from the Center, presented his work. During the presentation, the following issues on how Kharkiv was perceived by its inhabitants were reviewed:
– how they describe its unique characteristics;
– how the local inhabitants of Kharkiv are characterized;
– which other cities Kharkiv resembles or does not resemble;
– whom its inhabitants look like or do not look like;
– how these common features and differences are expressed;
– what formed the specifics of Kharkiv – which historic stages or events have influenced Kharkiv and its inhabitants most of all;
– how much this image of the city coincides with that which is disseminated by the "ideologists of the city;"
– how Kharkiv was perceived over the course of its history.
Сover Image: Old Kharkiv / Ukraine in an old postcard