Kastelivka in the Current of Time: The Architecture and History of the Southwestern District of Lviv (1880-1930)
Ihor ZhukUkrainian Catholic University
October 11, 2012
Center for Urban History, Lviv
Kastelivka is the historic name of a region in Lviv's southwest, bounded by today's Kotliarevskyi, Heneral Chuprynka, Kolberg and Horbachevskyi streets. A colony of single-family dwellings was built in this region at the end of the 19th century with an architecture oriented towards the neo-romantic villa. The creators of the Kastelivka ensemble were Julian Oktawian Zachariewicz (1837-1898), the leading master of Lviv (Lemberg) architecture in the era of historicism, and the legendary Lviv (Lemberg) builder Ivan Levynskyi (1851–1919).
Kastelivka embodies the various social, economic, political, and cultural contexts of Lviv's history in the turbulent era of its modernization. The presentation was based on scholarly materials collected during the process of developing the project "Lviv Interactive," which is based at the Center for Urban History of East-Central Europe.
Сover Image: Edward Trzemeski. Buildling in Kastelivka, 1891. Collection of Ihor Kotlobulatov / Urban media archive