View of the northeastern part of the city



ID number:
00891
Title:
View of the northeastern part of the city
City:
Subject:
Buildings, Teatralna street, Natural History Museum, Transfiguration church
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1971
Format:
11х11 cm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 05836
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: 10х15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Market Square, City Hall
ID: 09007
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Street, wall, Hlynianska tower, architecture, underpass
ID: 00892
City: Lviv
Date: 1971
Format: 11х8 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Panorama, Trybunalska street (Shevska street now), Armenian church, Hight Castle
ID: 09004
City: Lviv
Date: 1975-1980
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Architecture, tower, belfry
ID: 00893
City: Lviv
Date: 1971
Format: 11х18 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City, panorama, Svobody avenue, buildings, Opera house
ID: 00205
City: Lviv
Date: Post-War period, Communist Rule (1946-1990)
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Fylypivka district, Panchyshyna Street, view of downtown Lviv
ID: 00196
City: Lviv
Date: 1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Mikroskop Pana Jurka, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Fireworks, High Castle
ID: 00499
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: City view
ID: 00891
City: Lviv
Date: 1971
Format: 11х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Buildings, Teatralna street, Natural History Museum, Transfiguration church
Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord - Preobrazhenska Church (21 Krakivska Street). This sacred building is situated on a separate plot of land in the center of the city. It was constructed on the foundation of a church of the eighteenth century – a former Roman Catholic Church of the Trinity Order; its walls and other constructions that had survived the fire of 1848 were also used for the building. The main construction periods are: 1703-1731 (construction of the Roman Catholic Church of the Trinity Order), 1783 (reconstruction to serve as the University’s library) and 1875-1898 (the modern church, by the architect S. Hawryszkiewicz). In its modern condition, the architecture of the Church of the Transfiguration unites the Revival styles (Classical variant with Ukrainian sacral architecture traditions involved) with remains of Baroque and early Classicism styles (elements of the old building).

The Peoples’ House was constructed in the years 1851-1864 under a project drawn up by Wilhelm Schmidt; a slight echo of the Romanticism and Biedermeier can be seen in the Neo-Classicist architecture of the building. The society of Halytsko-Ruska Matytsia and its editorial office were located there, as well as some other public organizations; later the building was occupied by the Rozmaitości theatre. According to the resolution of the Lviv regional executive committee number 381 dated 5 July 1985, the building of the Peoples’ House was entered into the register of local monuments under protection number 295. As for today, the building houses the District House of Officers for the Western Operational Command, the Cinema Palace, a few cafés and a dancing studio.
A standout feature of Teatralna Street is the Natural History Museum, which provides an excellent example of early neoclassicism in Lviv’s residential architectural ensemble.  Built at the close of the 18th century by an unknown architect, though the structure is most likely the work of Pierre Denis Gibaut.  The building is associated with the Dzieduszycki clan, celebrated for its civic activism and scholarly pursuits.  The museum’s founder – Count Włodzimierz Dzieduszycki – was a noted zoologist, ethnographer, archeologist, and corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences in Cracow (ca. 1881).  He applied the bulk of his income from his properties to the acquisition of articles for exhibition and the maintenance of the museum.  Lviv’s State Natural History Museum is among Europe’s oldest and boasts one of the finest natural history collections on the continent.  The palace is a registered national landmark – the decision taken by the 442nd session of the Ukrainian Soviet Republic Council of Ministers on 6 September 1979, Decree No. 1263.