Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church of St. Michael



ID number:
00663
Title:
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church of St. Michael
City:
Description:
The out of town Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel and Carmelites Monastery were built in 1634 under the leadership of the architect Jan Pokorowicz. The tower in the photograph was constructed in 1835 after the project of the architect Aloiz Wondraszka. During restoration in the early twentieth century a second tower was added. Under the hill, a row of hansoms can be seen – this was one of the officially approved passenger hansom stations.
Subject:
St. Michael Carmelites Cathedral, Charnetskyi St., horse-drawn carriages
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Date:
1901-1906
Format:
90x140 mm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Lwów, Kościół Karmelitów.
On reverse:
In Polish: Zakład światłodruków Lwów, Zygmuntowska 11a

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03731
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1910
Format: 85x135 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Church
ID: 08128
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, church, bell tower, people
ID: 03538
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Church
ID: 01639
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1900-1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church, square
ID: 02236
City: Lviv
Date: 1931
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Vavzhynets Daychak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics
ID: 02161
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, building, architecture
ID: 02090
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Streets, buildings, architecture, church
ID: 01258
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: St. Mary Magdalene Church
ID: 02041
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Night view of Dominican church of God's body
The former Barefoot Carmelite Roman Catholic Church (presently St. Michael Church, 20 Vynnychenka Street) is a Baroque construction. The church was constructed on a hill beyond the limits of the old defensive walls. Together with the cells buildings and the defensive wall standing along the driveway of Prosvity and Vynnychenka Streets, the church forms a single architectural ensemble that over the course of the seventeenth-eighteenth centuries had a defensive purpose protecting the city from the east. The main construction chronology dates connected with this object are 1634 (erecting the main section of the building, by the architect Ya. Pokorovych), the second half of the seventeenth century (adding the defensive walls, by the engineer J. Berens), the seventeenth-eighteenth centuries (monastery complex), 1835-1839 (construction of a bell tower, by the architect A. Vondrashka) and 1906 (erection of a bell tower and restoration, by the architect V. Halytskyi).