View of the Pełczynski pond, and one of the Towers of the Citadel



ID number:
01337
Title:
View of the Pełczynski pond, and one of the Towers of the Citadel
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Pond, bath-house, tower, Citadel
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1908
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01332
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Album "Germans in Lviv..."
Copyright: State Archives of Lviv Region
Subject: Casernes, Citadel, barbed wire
Chernivtsi
ID: 03850
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1899
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, military barracks
ID: 01330
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Album "Germans in Lviv..."
Copyright: State Archives of Lviv Region
Subject: Casernes, Citadel, barbed wire
ID: 00669
City: Lviv
Date: 1903
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Ernest Kremer, Lemberg
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cadets School, buildings, grounds, wall
ID: 00672
City: Lviv
Date: 1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cadets School, main building, wall, entrance, military men, mailbox
Lviv
ID: 12799
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, shop
ID: 02981
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 22х16 сm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Royal Arsenal
ID: 02638
City: Lviv
Date: 1966
Format: 30х30 сm
Creator: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: City Arsenal, bas-relief, coats of arms
ID: 01334
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Album "Germans in Lviv..."
Copyright: State Archives of Lviv Region
Subject: Concentration camp headquarters, Citadel
This is a double-level casemate artillery tower with a cellar and a flat terrace. Planned as a regular nonagon with a round stem with balanced stairs in the central axis. Built of unplastered red brick by an unknown architect in 1854 up on Pelchynska Hill. The tower's chief function was defense of the Citadel's western wing. Today (2008) the tower is in restoration and in private property.

 

The first outside swimming pool in Lviv with a military swimming school was opened in 1820 on the Pelczynski pond. It used to be located on the site within the present street of Vitovskoho street and the point where it crossed Sakharova street. The building of the  bathing place at the eastern boundary of the pond was constructed in 1821 by a builder Wilhelm Schmidt, according to the plans of the general Johann Karl Fresnel-Curel von Henneguin. It placed a swimming school (initially, it was a military school, later — a civilian one). Pelczynski pond was filled in in 1921. The building of the bathing place has not been preserved. Today, we only have preserved the remains of the pond dam – it is a fountain in front of the main entrance to the B. Khmelnytskyi Park of Culture and Recreation. Presently, on the site of the pond, in its western section, there are facilities of the Palace of Sports "Dynamo" and the building of the Security Service of Ukraine in Lviv Region.