The Space of Synagogues / Franz Reschke Landscape Architecture

The Space of Synagogues / Franz Reschke Landscape Architecture

facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon

8.4.2017

Before World War II, a third of Lviv’s population was Jewish, making it one of Eastern Europe’s major centres of Jewish religious, cultural and social life. The prestigious Golden Rose Synagogue, the Great City Synagogue and the Beth Hamidrash School formed the heart of the Jewish district before being razed to the ground by Nazi Germany between 1941 and 1943. Since then this key site has fallen into neglect.