Holy Eucharist Church



ID number:
02376
Title:
Holy Eucharist Church
City:
Description:
The original wooden church of the Dominican order, constructed in 1370-1375, was destroyed in fire. Construction of a new stone Gothic sanctuary, based on the project by architect M. Czech, began in 1407. The building of the Dominican Church as it exists today was constructed by Jan de Witte, renowned architect, fortification engineer, and commander of the Kamyanets-Podilskyi fortress, using funds provided by Józef Potocki. Construction was overseen by architects Marcin Urbanik (from 1745), and Krzysztof Muradowicz (from 1764). Construction works were completed in 1792-1798 by architect Klemens Fesinger. The Dominican church is one of the most striking buildings in the architectural layout of Lviv. The central ellipse-shaped mass is surrounded by oval chapels, situated radially, and remaining within the elliptic frame. A mighty cupola rises above the central body of the church, supported by eight pairs of columns. The Baroque treatment of the main façade, with the elegant protruding lines of the portal, the strong cornice, and the divided fronton of the portal, give the building a dynamic and expressive character. The harmony of the spatial architectural forms is subordinated to a certain solemn rhythm. The façade is decorated by the Latin inscription “Soli Deo honor et gloria” (Honor and glory to the Only God).
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject:
Dominican Church of the Body of Our Lord, monastery building
Creator:
Karl Auer
Publisher:
Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1837
Format:
21,5x16,2 сm; 28,5x22,2 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Auer rys.i lit. u P. Pillera we Lwowie
Kościoł Dominikański we Lwowie

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Lviv
ID: 00090
City:
Date: 1913
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon Propst, Lwow
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: St. Mari Magdalene church
ID: 03736
City:
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Bahnhofstrasse,
ID: 00586
City:
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef (Józef) Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: St. Marcin church, wall
ID: 03731
City:
Date: 1900-1910
Format: 85x135 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Church
ID: 03530
City:
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Church, interior, architectural details, sculpture
ID: 02370
City:
Date: 1837
Format: 16,4х23,7 сm; 22,2х28,5 сm
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Bernardine Church, tower, monastery
ID: 00390
City:
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 12х18 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Sztuka, Krakow
Copyright: There are no Known Restrictions on the Usage of this Image
Subject: Krakivska Square, church of Our Lady of the Snow
ID: 03327
City:
Date: 1915
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Church, Korzeniowskiego Street
ID: 00664
City:
Date: 1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwów
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, monastery, Sapiega St., tram, column, power transformer booth, fragment of building
The former Dominican Roman Catholic Church (Stavropihiyska 1) is the biggest Baroque church in Lviv. This massive monument of the Christian architecture has become the main component of the architectural complex dating to the fifteenth-nineteenth centuries including also the buildings of the monastery cells and the bell tower. The church was built from stone and brick over the course of 1749-1764 (the architects J. de Vitte, M. Urbanik and K. Muradowicz) on the site of a Gothic church of the fifteenth century, on the plot of land bordering the medieval Lviv on the west. In 1792-1798 the church was reconstructed (by the architect K. Fesinger). In 1905-1914 the interior restoration was completed. A square and a garden have been set up in front of the church. Under Socialism, the building housed the Museum of Atheism, later Museum of the History of Religion.

(1 Savropihiyska Street). The bell tower is a component of the architectural ensemble of the Dominican Monastery (dating to the fifteenth-nineteenth centuries), the base of which is formed by the late Baroque church and the cell block. The bell tower was erected in 1865 (by the architect J. Braunzeiss) and built onto the church from the north.

(presently the building of the Lviv Museum of the History of Religion, 1 Stavropihiyska Street). The monastery building is a component of the architectural ensemble including also the church’s building nextdoor and the bell tower. The monastery constructions border on the northern nave of the church. The long chronicle of the monastery’s erection covers several periods: the fifteenth century, the years of 1556-1621 (reconstruction by the architect M. Czech) and the end of the eighteenth century (renovation after fire). Correspondingly, the object is rich in features of the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods.