The Hotel d'Europe



ID number:
00650
Title:
The Hotel d'Europe
City:
Description:
The Hoteld'Europe in 4, St. Mary Square (now Mickiewicz Square) – is one of the oldest hotels in Lviv, active since 1804. During the reorganization and renewal of the empty area that arose as a result of the disassemblage of the city walls in 1826, a two-story building of the Alsner Hotel was constructed. In 1870 it was rebuilt in neo-Renaissance style. At this time the building was occupied by F. G. Richter's bookstore and printing house, which among other things printed the popular “Kurier Lwowski” (Lwow Curier) and “Strikha” (Roof) newspapers, as well as the “People's Library”. In 1883 Hermann Altenberg obtained ownership of the bookstore. In 1877-1887 the building also housed Edward Trzemewski's photostudio (the large window in the building's attic on the photograph indicates where the studio had been), which was later owned by Karol Roszkewicz and Ludwik Wieleżyński. Until 1895 the land and the building belonged to the Alsner family, after which it was bought by restaurant owner Albert Szkowron. A restaurant hall was constructed in the backyard at the same time, following a project by Z. Sułkowski. In 1920 the premises together with the hotel were bought by the famous Lviv tradesman Antoni Uwiera. In 1934-1936, by order of the new owner the arhitect F. Kassler constructed a new building for the hotel. This new building included 65 rooms priced at 4 to 9 złotys per person per day. March 1939 saw the opening of a new coffeehouse, Sztuka (Art) in the building with interiors by Z. Fedorskyi. The hotel building of the 1930s was demolished in 2004, and in two years a new building was constructed in the same place from late nineteenth-century plans, which now houses a financial institution.
Subject:
Hotel
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1920-1939
Format:
100x150 mm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Hotel Europejski. Lwów plac Marjacki l. 4 naprzeciw pomnika Mickiewicza właściciel Antoni Uwiera.
On reverse:
In Polish: Reklama hotelu Europejskiego, rozkład jazdy kolejowej, ruchu tramwajów lwowskich, spis muzeów m. Lwowa

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00778
City: Lviv
Date: 1905-1915
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Hotel, Akademicka str., fiacres, people on the street
ID: 08912
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, building, architecture, construction, hotel, transport, people
ID: 01728
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1970
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Hotel Ukraina, Mitskevycha Sq.
ID: 10402
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Plakat", Moscow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
Chernivtsi
ID: 02764
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1930-1938
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: J. Tennenbaum, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Cernăuţi, Palace Hotel, Rathausstrasse, Strada Regina Maria, shops, cars
ID: 08022
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1964
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Street, building, hotel, kiosk, people
ID: 03770
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1911
Format: 90х130 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Rudolfsplatz, Mehlplatz, Musikvereinsplatz, Hotel Bristol
ID: 07993
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1970
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Hotel, street, buildings, transport
ID: 02980
City: Lviv
Date: 1899
Format: 30,5x25 сm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Hotel “Russia” (“De Russie”), Mariacka square