Ruins of the City Fortification Wall



ID number:
00627
Title:
Ruins of the City Fortification Wall
City:
Description:
The Bernardine Monastery building complex (now St. Andrew Church with monastery buildings and a belfry), encircled by a strong defensive wall, was a key element of the city's fortification system. In the late nineteenth century a fireguard station was constructed in front of the eastern section of the wall facing Lychakivska St. This fireguard station became redundant after a new fireguard building was constructed at the intersection of the Pidvalna St. with Striletska Sq. In the late 1920s and early 1930s several old buildings were demolished following a resolution of the city council, in order to reorder the territory and create a new square. It was at that time that a fragment of the old city wall, disfigured by time and numerous reconstructions, was discovered. The demolition of the old fireguard building, the stone fence of the Clarice Monastery and a reconstruction of the tram tracks between Lychakivska and Charnetskyi (now Vynnychenko) St. and Bernardine Sq. (now Soborna), cleared sufficient room for a new square, which was initially named in honour of Archbishop W. Bandurski (now Mytna Sq.). In 1976-1977 an underground crossing was built under the square (then named Radianska (Soviet) Sq.) to improve traffic flows. This offered the opportunity to completely open and restore the old Hlynianska Tower (1618), which had once led to the Bernardine Monastery from the Hlyniany Highway.
Subject:
Fortification wall, fragment of St. Andrew's Cathedral (Bernardine Cathedral)
Creator:
M. Janiszewski
Publisher:
"Rotofot", Warszawa
Date:
1938
Format:
100x150 mm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In Polish: Mury obronne za Kościołem O.O.Bernardynów.
Fot. M. Janiszewski. Druk."Rotofot" 15

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00627
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 100x150 mm
Creator: M. Janiszewski
Publisher: "Rotofot", Warszawa
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Fortification wall, fragment of St. Andrew's Cathedral (Bernardine Cathedral)
ID: 13080
City: Ternopil
Date: 1918
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: ruins, building, war, street
ID: 02751
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1917
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Fr. Marik, Prague
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Railway Bridge
ID: 01307
City: Lviv
Date: 1918
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Building, post office, ruin
ID: 08709
City: Lviv
Date: 1961-1963
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, ruin
ID: 01296
City: Lviv
Date: 1918
Format: 10x14 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Post Office, couryard, devastation
ID: 02887
City: Lviv
Date: 1903
Format: 12х18 sm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Teatralna St., building, wall
Halych
ID: 08075
City: Halych
Date: 1970-1975
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Panorama, castle, fortifications, wall, ruin
Turka
ID: 13065
City: Turka
Date: 1915
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: building, war, ruins
Former Bernardine Roman Catholic Church (3 Soborna Square) is a perfect example of the late Renaissance architecture that reflected the spirit and mood of the counter-reformation epoch. The church was built in the course of 1600-1630 by the architects B. Avelides, P. Rymlianyn, A. Prykhylnyi and A. Bemer. It was constructed on the site of an earlier wooden structure from 1460. The Bernardine Church creates a single complex with the adjacent fortified monastery buildings, bell tower, memorial column and rotunda over the well in the yard.