Assembly hall of Ivan Franko University



ID number:
02982
Title:
Assembly hall of Ivan Franko University
City:
Description:

The building of the Galician Sejm was built by the well-known architect Juliush Hokhberher in 1877-1881 in the period of the active building of Lviv during the epoch of municipal self-government. The plots of land of the lower parts of the ancient Jesuit or post-Jesuit park, on the spot of the ancient Casino Höchta were used for the construction of the Parliament building. The decorating of the building was conducted by the best sculptors and painters of the day: Theodore Rygier, Zygmund Trembecki, Henrik Rodakowski, Jan Matejko, Henrik Siemiradzki, Kazymiersz Pochwalski. The second storey of the Galician sejm building held the meeting hall, outfitted appropriately as an exemplary contemporary parlaimentary building. The half-circular amphitheatre of the hall was covered by a glass ceiling and was planned for 230 seats for deputies – consuls of the sejm. The half-circle of the amphitheatre faced the front wall, decorated with an allegorical painted freize by Henryk Rodakowski. Tiers of platforms were built into the length of the wall for the head (Marshal of the sejm), and also for the technicians (stenographers, secretaries) and reviewers. The central point of the composition was the platform for presentations. Along the perimetre of the parliamentary hall’s rounded wall there were boxes marked for the public. The hall was decorated by a thematic painting by Jan Matejko entitled “Union of Lublin”. Thanks to the glass ceiling the hall used natural light for illumination, and in the evening – gas lamps. In 1881 the lodging of the sejm received electrical lighting, which was first used in Lviv by engineer Francishek Rychnowski.

Subject:
Galician Sejm
Creator:
Zygmunt Goldhammer
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1900
Format:
12х18 сm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02761
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1904
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Landesregierung, Austria Platz
Chernivtsi
ID: 02750
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Josef Gottlieb, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Landesregierung, Austria Platz, University
Chernivtsi
ID: 03851
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Moritz Gottlieb, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Ferdinandsplatz, police
ID: 07935
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Archive, Bernardine monastery, church, street, public garden, tower
ID: 02957
City: Lviv
Date: 1952-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Melnyk
Subject: Lviv railway administration on the corner of Gogolia str. and Mitskevycha str., aerial antennas for radio jamming, the old fence of Golukhovsky palace
Chernivtsi
ID: 00683
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: David Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City Hall, square, passersby
ID: 03722
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1909-1914
Format: 85x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: A. Tennenbaum, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Streets, Hospital, Public Buildings, Railway Station, Theatre
ID: 02526
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 12,2х20 см
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Galician Diet
ID: 11086
City: Skole
Date: 1920-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Chudiyovych
Subject: House
The former Galician Sejm building (now the main building of the Lviv National Ivan Franko University) was constructed in 1877-1881 under a project designed by architect Juliusz Hochberger. The monumental Sejm building belongs to the Historicist style influenced by the Vienna Neo-Renaissance architecture of the second half of the 19th century; it is notable for its rich sculpture and ornamental decorations.