Socio-Psychological Peculiarities of the Image of Lviv among Students
April 28, 2009 / 5.30 pm
Center for Urban History, Lviv
Olena Dobosh presented her work addressing the following main issues:
- A city as a complex socio-cultural and structurally organized space;
- Specifics of the individual perception of an urban environment;
- The image of a city as a complex psychological construction;
- Theoretical approaches to understanding and researching the image of a city;
- Specifics of the socio-space of Lviv;
- The image of the city of Lviv students;
- Symbols of the urban identity of Lviv.
After a short introduction to the theoretical aspects of the topic, Olena Dobosh dedicated the major part of the seminar to the presentation and analysis of the results of empirical research into the socio-psychological peculiarities of the image of Lviv conducted in 2008 among the students of higher education institutions in Lviv.
During the seminar the speaker tried to answer the following questions:
- How do students see Lviv?
- Which places in the city do they like and dislike?
- Does the perception of the city depend on the time and place of residence in the city?
- Which places in Lviv do students consider to be the city’s symbols?
Olena Dobosh graduated from Lviv's Ivan Franko University. In July 2008 she has received a Master's degree in Psychology, defending her Master’s thesis on the topic of "Socio-Psychological Peculiarities of the Image of a City among Students" at the Faculty of Psychology of Ivan Franko University.
During 2007-2008 Olena participated in the joint Ukrainian-Swedish project "Creativity and Innovation in Theory and Practice," in the context of which she worked on the project concept "Interactive Maps of Cities."