Mariiska Square



ID number:
00519
Title:
Mariiska Square
City:
Description:

The central spot in the photograph is taken by the well with the Virgin Marystatue, which stood in this location on the south-eastern side of Mariacka Square, beginning 1904. The photograph itself originates from the times of the German occupation of Lviv. In the foreground a figure of a German military man can be seen. Further in is a fragment of the monument to Adam Mickiewicz, the chief accent of the square. The background is constituted by buildings Nos. 10 and 11, as well as building No. 15 on the corner of Halytska Square and building No. 1 on the corner of Akademichna St. The Building No. 10 (the Lewicki House, a building with four facades), no longer exists today. It was built around 1840, and traditionally housed porcelain and faience shop owned by the Kazimierz Lewicki company, as well as the Bajka (Fairy-tale) cinema (since 1909), situated in the buildings right wing; postwar residents of Lviv remember the cinema as the Ivan Franko Cinema. An electric tram can be seen turning before the building, which is on its way from the Stryiskyi Park to the central station by the Viennese Coffeehouse. Building No. 15 in Halytska Square, once premises to the Mortgage Bank, housed the Europa cinema from 1937 (after the Second World War the cinema was renamed Ukraina, and in the 1990s it was known as the Galician Centre for Film Arts; now it no longer exists, along with most old cinemas in Lviv), while during the Second World War the infamous Kripo, or Criminal Police department, was located here.

Subject:
Mariacka Square, fountain with Virgin MaryStatue, buildings, tram, passers-by, military man
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1941-1944
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Taras Pinyazhko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German:
Andanken von Lemberg 20 Original-Fotoaufnahmen
8. Marienplatz

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03226
City: Lviv
Date: 1901-1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Holy spirit square, monument to Jan Sobieski, financial management, city hall
ID: 03776
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Ringplatz, Town Hall, People, Market, Tram
ID: 06200
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Bohdana Khmelnytskoho square, public garden, buildings, academic building of Lviv Polytechnic, alleys, people, winter
ID: 01787
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14х9 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Square, public garden, flowerbeds, people, buildings, shop window
ID: 02892
City: Lviv
Date: 1895-1897
Format: 30x40 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Marjacki Square, green area, Our Lady statue, transport, cobblestones, tram tracks, people, street light, Halytska Sq., bookstore
ID: 13164
City: Lviv
Date: 1998
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: square, street, fountain, people, car, architecture
ID: 08194
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1970
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Leonid Zapadenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Square, buildings, architecture, transport, tram, bus, paving, people
Chernivtsi
ID: 03734
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Sigmund Jäger, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Theatre, people
ID: 13142
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: suqare, street, theatre, people, car

The sculpture of the Virgin Mary was installed on 14 October 1997, on the feast of the Protection of the Mother of God. It is a copy of the statue which stood there from 1904 till the end of the Second World War.