Fountain with a sculpture of Amfitrita



ID number:
01866
Title:
Fountain with a sculpture of Amfitrita
City:
Subject:
Rynok square, fountain, sculpture, historical buildings
Creator:
Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher:
"Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Date:
1938
Format:
10x15 сm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In Polish: 527 Lwów. Rynek. Studnia z Amfitrytą. Fot. Prof. A. Lenkiewicz.
Wydawca i druk: S. A. Książnica Atlas, Lwów, ul. Czarnieckiego 12. 1938

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01869
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1935
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Rynok square, fountain, sculpture, cathedra
ID: 11841
City: Lviv
Date: March 1958
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: fountain
ID: 11791
City: Lviv
Date: 1957-1960
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: fountain
ID: 01422
City: Lviv
Date: 1950
Format: 10x12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Fountain, buildings of Mitskevycha Square and 1 Travnia St.
ID: 01863
City: Lviv
Date: 1904
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Stefan Wierusz Niemojowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Halytska square, fountain, sculpture, buildings, Bernardine church
ID: 01080
City: Lviv
Date: 1971-1973
Format: 13x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Serhiy Tereshchenko
Subject: Fountain, urban greenery, boy, buildings No. 6-8 in Lenin Blvd., trolley-bus
ID: 01864
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Roman Veselovskyi
Publisher: Stadt. Verkehrsamt. - Lemberg
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Halytska square, fountain, sculpture, cathedra, Halytska street
ID: 01418
City: Lviv
Date: 1962
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Ukrreklamfilm", Kyiv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Fountain, square, people, city growth
ID: 01426
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 40x30 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Statue of the Virgin Mary, Mariacka Sq., Kopernyka St., electric illumination, decor
The building is one of the best examples of late Renaissance architecture in Lviv. Its construction goes back to the end of the sixteenth century, with reconstruction work done in 1737-1739. The building is a prime example of the city’s palace architecture from the Renaissance period. Its traditional name, Bandinelli Palazzo, comes from the last name of its early owner. The building occupies a corner lot on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The northern façade is on Stavropihiyska Street.
The building dates back to the sixteenth century, and was rebuilt in the eighteenth century (under the architect Piotr Polejowski). In the stone building’s architecture, elements of the late Baroque period (the sculptural décor of the first floor) are united with a Classicist interpretation of the façade. The stone building stands on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The four-story structure has an elongated configuration that is oriented along an east-west axis. Today (2008) it is a residential building.
According to historian Yuri Biriuliov, among the "best work of Hartman Witwer (1774-1825) are ... the four stone statues made out of limestone and located at the wells on Market Square – they embodied the allegory of earth (the sculptures of Diana and Adonis) and water (the sculptures of Neptune and Amphitrite). The Market Square figures were created some time between 1810 and 1814, and are mentioned in original sources first in 1815, when the city council passed a resolution forbidding damage to the sculptures during the celebration of the traditional Ukrainian "Jordan" holiday ([the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, and] the sanctification of water)." On the western side of the square are fountains with the figures of Neptune (the southwestern corner) and Amphitrite (the northwestern corner). On the eastern side are fountains with the figures of Adonis (northeast) and Diana (southeast side).