Monuments on Svobody avenue



ID number:
05903
Title:
Monuments on Svobody avenue
City:
Description:
In the early December of 1939 a monument to Stalin’s Friendship of Nations was placed on Hetmanski Valy (Hetman’s ramparts) street, on the axis of the main walking alley, not far from the well with the Mother of God statue. It was a figure composition decorated with red flags and the emblems of the Soviet republics. A 20-meter-high obelisk was added to this sculptural composition in the early 1940. On the opinion of Yuriy Biriuliov, an art critic and expert in Lviv sculpture, here again, as it was in the case of the monument to Stalin’s Constitution, the authors of the idea were sculptor Serhiy Lytvynenko and Mykhailo Dmytrenko, an artist from Kyiv; the idea was realized by sculptors Yevhen Dzyndra and Andriy Koverko.
Subject:
Monument to Jan III Sobieski, street, people
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1940
Format:
4x9
Copyright:
Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03084
City: Lviv
Date: 1916
Format: 11х18 cm
Creator: Istvan Medgyaszoy
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Military exhibition, square, monument
ID: 01978
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1939
Format: 11х8 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Column, sculpture, Bernardine church, Bernardine square
ID: 01518
City: Lviv
Date: 1895
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Stryiskyi Park, Kiliński monument, restaurant, alleys
ID: 00860
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 23х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Monument, Lenina avenue, Opera house, bus
ID: 01907
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Park, alley, flowerbed, monument, restaurant, people
ID: 02540
City: Lviv
Date: 1898
Format: 17,2х15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv National Library after V.Stefanyk NAS of Ukraine
Subject: King Jan III Sobieski monument
ID: 08156
City: Lviv
Date: 1952-1955
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Square, monument, theater, people
ID: 01502
City: Lviv
Date: 1903
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument, Akademicki Square, buildings
ID: 00121
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 4,5х6 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Halytska Brama", Lviv
Copyright: Leonid Simutin
Subject: Fountain, Galician Square, Halytska Street, Municipal Savings Bank, Tower of Latin Cathedral.
The Prospect Svobody Promenade – formerly, the Hetman Ramparts – was laid in on top of the western section of the historic defensive fortifications that ringed Lviv. The walls were pulled down sometime around 1776 and put into public service of the city. In the first half of the 19th century, parallel streets were established on the eastern and western banks of the Poltva River, and landscaped in rows of poplar; the streets would one day become the boulevard that is Prospect Svobody. In the late 1880s, arched bridges spanned the gap between Maryatska Square (currently, Mickiewicz Square) and Golukhovska Square (currently, Torhova Square). Between 1888-1890, under the direction of Arnold Röhring, the area enclosing the underground river channel was planted in trees and flowerbeds.

The grand opening of the monument to the King of Poland took place on November 20, 1898. The monument was made by the famous Lviv sculptor Tadeusz Baroncz. After World War II, in 1950, the monument was moved to Poland where for almost twenty years it was located in Wilanowski Park in Warsaw while discussion continued about its appropriate location. In 1987 the monument to Jan III Sobieski was ceremonially unveiled on Wooden Market in Gdansk.