The Monument to St. George



ID number:
00059
Title:
The Monument to St. George
City:
Description:

A modern photograph to St. Yuriy (Georgiy) Zmiyeborets (Dragon Fighter) , put up in Grygorenka square (former Smolka square) in 1999 (sculptors A. and V. Sukhorski). The monument is situated in front of the modern building of Ministry of Internal Affairs and is the homage to all who perished in the struggle with crime. Till 1946 in this place a monument to Franciszek Smolka, a famous Polish politician, who lived in one of the buildings in this square (#4) was situated. The photo of the monument was taken from the back, so that the perspective of Grygorenko square to the direction of the central part of the city is well seen.

 

Subject:
Smolka Square, monument
Creator:
Richard Gatward
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
2003
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Richard Gatward
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 11685
City: Lviv
Date: 1945
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Boiko
Subject: people, monument
ID: 00122
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 4,5х6 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Halytska Brama", Lviv
Copyright: Leonid Simutin
Subject: Fountain, sculpture of Amfitrita, Market Square, Shevska Street, Krakivska Street
ID: 01907
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Park, alley, flowerbed, monument, restaurant, people
ID: 01934
City: Lviv
Date: 1907
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon Propst, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Marjacki Square, fountain, Our Lady statue
ID: 09763
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park
ID: 01943
City: Lviv
Date: 1985-1990
Format: 15х10 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument to Ivan Pidkova, I. Pidkovy Square, Teatralna St.
ID: 01567
City: Lviv
Date: 1935-1939
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject:
ID: 10120
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument
ID: 08122
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1965
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Monument, architecture, sculpture, public garden, building, "Energosbut"

The monument to St. George the Dragon Slayer was erected on Hryhorenka Square (former Smolky Square) in 1999 by sculptors Andriy and Volodymyr Sukhorski). The monument rises in front of the current building of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine and is dedicated to the memory of all those who have died in the fight against crime. Until 1946 a monument to Franciszek Smolka, local Polish liberal politician who lived in a building on this square (number 4) was located here.  

This large residential townhouse, whose style can be defined as a version of the modernized Neo-Classicism of the first half of the 1910s, was built in the central part of the city in 1912-1914 under a project designed by architects Józef Piątkowski and Maksymilian Burstin. The house is notable for its complicated original layout and had to become a part of a new shopping passage. A complex of spacious luxury apartments and a cinema were arranged inside. Today, Lviv Academic Theater "Voskresinnia" performs here.


The residential building was constructed on the Northwestern side of the square in 1890. It was one of the first buildings that formed the square. It has mostly preserved its authentic form in accordance with the original architectural design. The portals of the first floor were rebuilt according to a project from 1938 by the architect Zygmunt Schmucker. It is an example of the late historicist architecture.