Former Greek-Orthodox Seminary Building with Seminary Church



ID number:
03751
Title:
Former Greek-Orthodox Seminary Building with Seminary Church
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the former Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city.
The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the seminary building with the seminary church as seen from the courtyard. This building housed the greek-orthodox seminary, founded in 1828, and the theological faculty ot the university of Chernivtsi which attracted students from all over the Empire, south-eastern Europe and the Middle East. Teaching took place mostly in Romanian language, sometimes in German and Ukrainian. The reputation of the institution was high, at the eve of World War one it had about 200 students. The Seminarkirche (seminary church) of the Three Holy Hierarchs was consecrated in 1882, the inside wall paintings were done by the Viennese Karl Jobst. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. After the second Wold War, the orthodox seminary was closed, the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today. The seminary church was used as a storage room by the Soviets, the wall paintings and the iconostasis could be saved. Today the church is restored and very popular for weddings.

Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1920-1923
Format:
90x140 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Romanian: Cernăuţi, Seminarul Mitropolitan.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Przemysl
ID: 03411
City: Przemysl
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, buildings, architecture, synagogue, street, people
ID: 02249
City: Lviv
Date: 1919-1939
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Wladyslaw Benesz
Publisher: Wladyslaw Benesz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monastery, educational institution, church, architecture
Lviv
ID: 00592
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv National Library after V.Stefanyk NAS of Ukraine
Subject: War veteran's chapel
ID: 02358
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14х9 сm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Armenian Church, arcade, courtyard
ID: 01031
City: Lviv
Date: 1937
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Bandurskiego Square, Bernardine Church, wall, truck, car, people on horseback, passersby, power transformator booth
ID: 09092
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 17х10 cm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Uspenska church, Korniakta tower, Triokh Sviatyteliv chapel, courtyard, buildings
ID: 02129
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing house of Discalced Carmelites, Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, wall, tram line
ID: 02052
City: Lviv
Date: 1939
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, architecture, seminary, ruin, war
ID: 09324
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject: Church