Former German People's House in Chernivtsi



ID number:
03726
Title:
Former German People's House in Chernivtsi
City:
Description:
From an ethnic point of view, Chernivtsi was the most ‘mixed' of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. "National" or "People's Houses" were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The Deutsches Haus (German People's House) shown on the postcard was built in the most fancy street of Chernivtsi, the Herrengasse, in 1910 by the Verein der Christlichen Deutschen in der Bukowina (Association of christian Germans in the Bukowina). The Architect Gustav Fritsch combined neo-gothic with secessionist elements and added some half timbered decorations. There was a restaurant, a wine cellar, a big festive hall, various offices and meeting rooms of student fraternities. According to the agreement between Hitler and Stalin, almost all Germans left the Bukowina for Germany in the fall of 1940. Today, the "Association of Austrian-German Culture" occupies some rooms in the first floor. In the attic an exhibition hall is dedicated to the writer Georg Drozdowski.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Deutsches Haus, German People's House, Nationalhaus, Strada Janku Flondor
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
Interwar Years (1918-1939)
Format:
120x170 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 08150
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, cottages
ID: 08653
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Streets, buildings, architecture
ID: 00328
City: Lviv
Date: 1860 - 1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: View on former St. Anna Street, church and prison Brygidky
ID: 06207
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1965
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings
ID: 09697
City: Lviv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, cathedral, public garden, transport, people, paving
Ivano-Frankivsk
ID: 03391
City: Ivano-Frankivsk
Date: 1915
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, buildings, architecture, street, church, architectural elements
ID: 12450
City: Lviv
Date: 1975-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Tanas Nykyforuk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: street, people
ID: 06210
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, schools, people
ID: 08691
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, tram line, paving, transport, people