Former German People's House in Chernivtsi



ID number:
03726
Title:
Former German People's House in Chernivtsi
City:
Description:
From an ethnic point of view, Chernivtsi was the most ‘mixed' of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. "National" or "People's Houses" were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The Deutsches Haus (German People's House) shown on the postcard was built in the most fancy street of Chernivtsi, the Herrengasse, in 1910 by the Verein der Christlichen Deutschen in der Bukowina (Association of christian Germans in the Bukowina). The Architect Gustav Fritsch combined neo-gothic with secessionist elements and added some half timbered decorations. There was a restaurant, a wine cellar, a big festive hall, various offices and meeting rooms of student fraternities. According to the agreement between Hitler and Stalin, almost all Germans left the Bukowina for Germany in the fall of 1940. Today, the "Association of Austrian-German Culture" occupies some rooms in the first floor. In the attic an exhibition hall is dedicated to the writer Georg Drozdowski.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Deutsches Haus, German People's House, Nationalhaus, Strada Janku Flondor
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
Interwar Years (1918-1939)
Format:
120x170 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 12862
City: Lviv
Date: February 6th, 1938
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: State Archives of Lviv Region
Subject: street, building, functionalism, architecture
Chernivtsi
ID: 03858
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1897-1910
Format: 80х110 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Petrowicz Gasse, Armenian Catholic Church
Ternopil
ID: 03415
City: Ternopil
Date: 1900
Format: Unknown
Creator: Leon Kenig, Chernivtsi
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Street, buildings, trading, stores, people
ID: 02524
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 30х40 сm
Creator: Franciszek Rychnowski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Zyblikiewicza, Ścieżkowa, Św. Mikołaja streets, city construction, tram tracks, trams, people
ID: 13126
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, people, architecture, building
ID: 11842
City: Lviv
Date: 1959
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: street, building
ID: 01628
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: State Archives of Lviv Region
Subject: Adolph-Hitler-Ring, Opera house, tram, prisoners of the Janów camp, guards
ID: 08628
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, road, buidings
ID: 03907
City: Lviv
Date: 1978
Format: 12х17 cm
Creator: Andriy Drymalyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Drymalyk
Subject: Street, Stryiska street, LAZ, underpass, transport, traffic lights