Military swimming school at Pelchenskyi pond



ID number:
03046
Title:
Military swimming school at Pelchenskyi pond
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Pelchensky pond, military swimming school, street, mountain, citadel
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1892
Format:
11х17 сm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01843
City: Lviv
Date: 1837
Format: 16,2х23 cm; 22х28,8 cm
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Military swimming pool, Pełczyński Pond, swimming pool building, horsemen, passersby, carriage
ID: 01384
City: Lviv
Date: 1863
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Pond, military baths, boats, Pływalni Street, Poznańska hill, Citadel
ID: 02889
City: Lviv
Date: 1895-1905
Format: 8х11 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Pełczyński pond, bath-house, hill, Citadel
ID: 01335
City: Lviv
Date: 1910
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Edmund Libanski
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Casernes, towers, Pełczyński pond, buildings

The first outside swimming pool in Lviv with a military swimming school was opened in 1820 on the Pelczynski pond. It used to be located on the site within the present street of Vitovskoho street and the point where it crossed Sakharova street. The building of the  bathing place at the eastern boundary of the pond was constructed in 1821 by a builder Wilhelm Schmidt, according to the plans of the general Johann Karl Fresnel-Curel von Henneguin. It placed a swimming school (initially, it was a military school, later — a civilian one). Pelczynski pond was filled in in 1921. The building of the bathing place has not been preserved. Today, we only have preserved the remains of the pond dam – it is a fountain in front of the main entrance to the B. Khmelnytskyi Park of Culture and Recreation. Presently, on the site of the pond, in its western section, there are facilities of the Palace of Sports "Dynamo" and the building of the Security Service of Ukraine in Lviv Region.

Original name: Staw Pełczyński
Map: Plan of the Royal and Capital City of Lwow (with an enclave of Jałowcy and Maszow. Lwow I Part)
Year: 1890