The Inner Courtyard Chernivtsi University Main Building



ID number:
02739
Title:
The Inner Courtyard Chernivtsi University Main Building
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the inner courtyard and parts of the central buildung with the balcony of the Synodalsaal (synodal hall) and the monastry on the right side. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. After the second Wold War the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Date:
1920-1930
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Gruss aus Czernowitz, Erbischöfliches Palais
On reverse:
In German: Verlag Simon Gross, Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 10463
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Borys Mindel
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Chapel, Latin-rite Cathedral, house, Halytska St., tower, city hall tower
ID: 03201
City: Lviv
Date: 1908-1909
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Jan Peltz
Publisher: "Tencha", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, courtyard, arcade
ID: 08079
City: Halych
Date: 1970-1975
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Church, architecture, courtyard
ID: 01259
City: Vienna
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: The cathedral, architecture, transportation
ID: 02325
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Rusalka", Hrygorij Ganuliak
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Lychakivska St., Sst. Peter and Paul church, sculpture, electric street lamp
ID: 07929
City: Kyiv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Church, architecture, Andriyivsky Uzviz
ID: 02366
City: Lviv
Date: 1938-1939
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: M. Yanishevski
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, courtyard
ID: 11694
City: Dniprodzerzhynsk
Date: 1908
Format: Unknown
Creator: N. Ivanov
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: National Museum of History of the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk
Subject:
ID: 02247
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Hryhoriy Hanuliak, Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, church, monastery, building, architecture