View on Former Seminary Building and Church



ID number:
02735
Title:
View on Former Seminary Building and Church
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the entrance gate to the inner courtyard, parts of the central buildung and the seminary building with the seminary church on the left side. This building housed the greek-orthodox seminary, founded in 1828, and the theological faculty ot the university of Chernivtsi which attracted students from all over the Empire, south-eastern Europe and the Middle East. Teaching took place mostly in Romanian language, sometimes in German and Ukrainian. The reputation of the institution was high, at the eve of World War one it had about 200 students. The Seminarkirche (seminary church) of the Three Holy Hierarchs was consecrated in 1882, the inside wall paintings were done by the Viennese Karl Jobst. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. After the second Wold War, the orthodox seminary was closed, the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today. The seminary church was used as a storage room by the Soviets, the wall paintings and the iconostasis could be saved. Today the church is restored and very popular for weddings. The postcards also shows the street leading to the Residence from the city center. Originally named Bischofsgasse, it was called Residenzgasse later, and University Street nowadays. The bus is most likely a FIAT purchased in the 1930s.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities, public transportation, bus
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Friedrich Rieber, Czernowitz
Date:
Interwar Years (1918-1939)
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Romanian: Cernăuţi, Resedintă Mitropolitană.
On reverse:
In Romanian: Editura Friedrich Rieber, Cernăuţi

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02465
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1990
Format: 9×14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Former Turkułły-Comello Palace, Pekarska St., garden
ID: 11226
City: Lviv
Date: 1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Children, kindergarden
Prypyat'
ID: 13832
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1986
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: kindergarten, building, street, city, education
ID: 13312
City: Berezhany
Date: 1970-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: portrait, pupils, people, school
ID: 00831
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1953
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Nursery, Boy Zhelenskoho st., medics, portraits
ID: 08439
City: Lviv
Date: 1905
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Marek Münz
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: School, building, educational institution, shop, people
ID: 13726
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: school, building, architecture, panel, ussr
ID: 10738
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: School, pupils, director
ID: 08476
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, school