Jewish Temple



ID number:
02733
Title:
Jewish Temple
City:
Description:

On the crossroad of several streets in the city center, just steps away from the Ringplatz (Central Square) a Choral Temple was built between 1873 and 1877 in a moresque style by the architect Julian Zachariewicz from Lemberg (Lviv). The synagogue was supposed to be a reformed temple of the more liberal oriented Jews, in contrast to the orthodox Great Synagogue in Synagogengasse in the lower parts of town. However, the Temple was not reformed in todays meaning of the word: there was no organ and a separate section for the ladies. Services were held in German language, the common language of most Jews of Chernivtsi. In order to raise money for the project, the most prominent representatives of the Jewish Community founded the Czernowitzer Israelitische Tempelverein (Temple Association) was founded, main donations came from the Zucker and Wagner families. The foundation stone was put in 1873 by Chief Rabbi Dr. Igel and the Orthodox Bishop Dr. Hacman. Among the several ethnic groups and religions in Chernivtsi, the Jews became the biggest and most important during the Austrian rule. Before the first World War around one third of the population of he city was Jewish, in 1919 the percentage of Jews rose to 47 percent. The Temple was the biggest of more than 70 synagogues and prayer houses in Chernivtsi. In the Austrian epoque, the street linking the Temple with the Ringplatz (Central Square) was named Tempelgasse. In July 1941 Romania occupied Chernivtsi from the Soviets, and together with German troops carried out massacres on the Jewish population. Within a few days the most prominent representatives of Jewish life in the city, among them Chief Rabbi Abraham Mark, were murdered, the Temple was set on fire and burned down to ashes. After the war, the Soviets tried to blow up the ruin but failed to do so. In 1959 the former temple was turned into a cinema, deprived of its dome and most of the ornaments.  Here one of the most prominent singers of the time between the wars, the Tenor Josef Schmidt started his career in the temple choir. Today a memorial plaque inside the building reminds of this famous son of Chernivtsi.
Helmut Kusdat

Subject:
Czernowitz, Synagogue, Jewish Temple
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1905-1914
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz, Israelitischer Tempel

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02871
City: Brody
Date: 1925
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Akropol", Krakow
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Synagogue
ID: 03397
City: Tarnow
Date: 1905
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, interior, decor, architectural details
ID: 03424
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue
ID: 03433
City: Husiatyn
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: D. Poliatkevych
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, architectural details
ID: 03407
City: Brody
Date: 1917
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, interior, decor, architectural details
ID: 03396
City: Vizhnitsa
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: E. Shraier, Sanislaviv
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Square, synagogue, students, teacher
ID: 01629
City: Lviv
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: Franciszek Kowaliszyn
Publisher: Francisek Jaworski "Lwow za Jagielly"
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City Arsenal, Great City Synagogue, tower, remains of a fortification wall, Kornyakt Tower
ID: 03442
City: Kolomyja
Date: 1910, 1886
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, portrait
ID: 03426
City: Brody
Date: 1900
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, interior, decor, architectural details