Church of the Heart of Jesus



ID number:
02732
Title:
Church of the Heart of Jesus
City:
Description:
The postcards shows the Roman Catholic Herz Jesu Kirche (Church of the Heart of Jesus) and the residential building for the clergy built by the Jesuits between 1891 and 1894 on Ferdinandsplatz (Shewtchenko Street). The growing number of Catholics in Chernivtsi (around 19.000 in 1900, mostly Germans and Poles) made it necessary to build a larger church than the one on Main Street. In 1894 the neo gothic church, designed by Josef Leitzner, was consecrated. Until the Second World War it served as the headquaters of the Jesuits in Romania. The Soviets turned it into the Archives of the Chernivtsi Oblast, thus destroying the interior of the building. Nowadays there are plans to transfer the archives to another, more siuitable building and return the church to the Catholic community.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Herz Jesu Church
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1905-1911
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz, Herz Jesu Kirche
On reverse:
In German: Korrespondenz Karte
In Polish: Karta Korespondencyjna
W.L. 2584. 16244 d

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02138
City: Lviv
Date: 1911
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: F. K. Ziołkowski, Poznan
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Discalced Carmelite sisters' church, Czarnieckiego St.
ID: 02732
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1911
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Herz Jesu Church
ID: 03521
City: Lviv
Date: 1906
Format: 16х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Latin cathedral, altar, sculptures, architectural details
ID: 02869
City: Brody
Date: 1929
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Wspolczesna Sztuka", Przemysl
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Church
ID: 01262
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Bernardine Church, St. Andrew the Apostle Church, Column of St. Jan of Dukla
ID: 02090
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Streets, buildings, architecture, church
ID: 02237
City: Lviv
Date: 1931
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Vavzhynets Daychak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics
ID: 02238
City: Lviv
Date: 1933-1934
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, monastery, architecture, statue, schuulpture
ID: 03530
City: Lviv
Date: 1908
Format: 17х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, interior, architectural details, sculpture