View of the monastery from Castle mountain



ID number:
02576
Title:
View of the monastery from Castle mountain
City:
Description:
View of Fedir Mountain and the Basilian Monastery from Castle Mountain. The monastery of the Basilian friars is located on the spot where once the Cathedral of the True Cross was standing. Basilian monks came to Buchach in 1712 on the invitation of the owner of Buchach, Stefan Potocki, who sought to have educated Greek Catholic clergy on his property. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. On the left side of the foreground is a fragment of the castle walls. The castle of Buchach was constructed in 1580. In the middle of the seventeenth century its owner, Mikolaj Potocki, built a new castle for himself and the old castle was abandoned. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the owners of the castle allowed citizens to disassemble the castle walls for a fee to further use them as building materials; this caused irreparable damage. In the foreground one can see a woman and a man who walk on the road that leads from the city center past the Church of Assumption of Our Lady, goes up to Castle Mountain to the former gate and comes to a suburb that is located right behind the castle ruins.
Nazar Kis
Subject:
Сastle, Сhurch of the Basilian Monastery
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1930-1939
Format:
17х11 cm
Copyright:
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 11227
City: Olesko
Date: 1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Girl, castle
ID: 08092
City: Olesko
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Landscape, castle, architecture
ID: 11165
City: Olesko
Date: 1970-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Myhaylo Sumyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Castle
ID: 08085
City: Olesko
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Hill, castle, architecture
ID: 08084
City: Olesko
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Castle, architecture, courtyard, architectural elements,
ID: 03565
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 25х40 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject:
ID: 11166
City: Olesko
Date: 1970-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Myhaylo Sumyk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Castle
ID: 07896
City: Kamyanets-Podilsky
Date: 1965-1970
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Castle, architecture, fortress, road
ID: 08077
City: Halych
Date: 1970-1975
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Mountain, castle, fortication