The Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord



ID number:
02371
Title:
The Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord
City:
Description:

The city in the wide valley of Vyrta river in the vicinity of Staryi Sambir was first mentioned in 1374. The mention was in connection with the fact that Prince Władysław of Opole bestowed on the family of Herburts from Austrian Silesia the right to own lands along the Vyrta river, including the city of Dobromyl. The city was granted Magdeburg rights in 1566; by the seventeenth century Dobromyl was surrounded by fortifications.The reconstructed high castle, the defensive construction of the Basilian monastery, and the palazzo-like low castle, where noble families resided, also performed fortifying functions. The low castle did not survive to the present day, due to numerous enemy attacks, fires and ruination. The late-Renaissance Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord (originally the Church was consecrated to the Holy Trinity) was constructed in the second half of the sixteenth century with funds provided by the Herburt family. The Herburts’ Chapel was added from the south side in 1622; the Chapel of St. Kinga was added later from the north side. The altar of this chapel held an icon, portraying the legend of the ring. The church suffered much ruination in 1648, and underwent substantial reconstruction and renovation in 1719-1763. The interior of the church holds memorial plates dedicated to the Jagiellonian University, and the Battle of Grünwald. A belfry was constructed next to the church in 1910.
Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Church
Creator:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
2004
Format:
30х20 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02370
City: Lviv
Date: 1837
Format: 16,4х23,7 сm; 22,2х28,5 сm
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Bernardine Church, tower, monastery
ID: 01255
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Church, architecture, pillar of St. John of Dukla, the area
ID: 02008
City: Lviv
Date: 1926
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Church, square, St. Jan from Duklia column
ID: 02238
City: Lviv
Date: 1933-1934
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, monastery, architecture, statue, schuulpture
ID: 09696
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Square, church, architecture
ID: 08360
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Square, church, architecture
ID: 02732
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1911
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Herz Jesu Church
ID: 01999
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Yanivska, Horodoka streets, St. Anna church
ID: 02066
City: Lviv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Square, church, architecture, transport, trolleybus, people