Monument and Entrance to Museum of Ivan Fedorov



ID number:
01495
Title:
Monument and Entrance to Museum of Ivan Fedorov
City:
Description:

The monument to the first printer Ivan Fedorov, author of the first Ukrainian printed books, was built and officially opened on November 26, 1977. The figure of the printer, which stands on a rectangleof dark cobblestone- is quite an untraditional artistic rendering for that time. The authors of the project were Lviv sculptors Valentyn Borysenko and Valentyn Podolskyi, the architectural planning was done by architect Anatoliy Konsulov. The monument was placed on a square, which was created after the reordering of the square at the foot of the Korniakto tower, between the entrances to the Uspenska church and the government archives of Lviv region, and the streets Pidval’na and Ruska. The backdrop is one of the most interesting sacral structures in Lviv- the Dominican church of the Divine Body, where in Soviet times the Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism was located (now the Museum of the History of Religion).

Subject:
Monument, Dominican church, museum of the history of religion and atheism, St. Onufriy church, Ivan Fedorov museum
Creator:
J. Yakymenko
Publisher:
"Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Date:
1984
Format:
20х9 cm
Copyright:
Serhiy Tereshchenko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In Ukrainian: Львів. Пам'ятник Івану Федорову біля будинку музею історії релігії та атеїзму. Скульптори В.Борисенко, В.Подольский, архітектор А.Консулов. Музей Івана Федорова
In Russian: Памятник Ивану Федорову у здания музея истории религии и атеизма. Скульпторы В.Борисенко, В.Подольский, архитектор А.Консулов. Музей Ивана Федорова

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 05903
City: Lviv
Date: 1940
Format: 4x9
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument to Jan III Sobieski, street, people
ID: 01918
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
ID: 09737
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park, Ivan Franko University in Lviv
ID: 09439
City: Lviv
Date: 1943
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject: People, monument
ID: 11148
City: Kaniv
Date: 1960
Format: Unknown
Creator: Myhaylo Sumyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Monument, grave, Taras Shevchenko
ID: 11747
City: Lviv
Date: 1974-1991
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lviv National Library after V.Stefanyk NAS of Ukraine
Subject: monument, cemetery, memory, cross
ID: 01277
City: Lviv
Date: 1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, fence, green area, theater
ID: 01865
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Rynok square, fountain, sculpture, Cipper department store, Bachevski building
ID: 00814
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Lychakiv Cemetery, memorials, monument to I. Franko, alley, people
The monument to the printing pioneer was established in 1977, primarily to emphasize the cultural ties between Moscow and Lviv. Today the area around the monument is known for the fact that used books and other, often rare, things are sold here.
The St. Onuphrius monastery in Lviv consists of a complex of buildings including a church, a belfry gate and monks’ cells which are owned by the Most Holy Saviour Province of the Basilian Order in Ukraine. It is located in the oldest part of the city existing since the times of the Principality of Galicia-Volhynia. The church is one of the oldest monastery churches; it is associated with well-known historical persons (a prince of Moldavia), clerics, members of the Lviv Stauropegion brotherhood, noted architects (Franz Trescher, Edgar Kováts), sculptors, carvers (Andriy Koverko), painters (Luka Dolynsky, Marcin Jabłonski, Modest Sosenko), printing pioneer Ivan Fedorovych (Fedorov). Some prominent figures of the sixteenth-eighteenth centuries from Lviv and Ukraine are buried in the church and near it.

According to the resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR number 970 dated 24 August 1963, the St. Onuphrius church was entered in the National list of monuments under protection number 364/1.