Virgin Mary Statue



ID number:
01423
Title:
Virgin Mary Statue
City:
Description:

A view of the Virgin Mary statue from the side of the Mickiewicz monument. Beginning in 1862 the white marble statue, sculpted in 1859 by the Munich-based artist Johannes Nepomuk Hautmann, was the centerpiece of the Mariacka Sq. The statue was moved to its present location in 1904, to free the space in the centre of the square for a memorial to Adam Mickiewicz. The city authorities announced a contest to find the best architectural and artistic solution for the sculpture's new location and surroundings. The contest was won by the Lviv-based architect Michał Łużecki. He elaborated a project of a well with a fountain (a traditional motif for city squares), placing the statue of Virgin Mary on a high postament in the center of the well. The statue was removed shortly after the Second World War, and relocated first to the Boims Chapel, and then to the Bernardine Church, as the presence of a religious statue in downtown Lviv was at odds with the principles of Soviet authorities. Following a project by architect Anatolii Konsulov, the Lviv sculptor Yevhen Dzyndra constructed the statue of a chalice held by tritones, mythological creatures representing water, where the Virgin Mary statue had stood. In 1997 a copy of the original statue was again returned to the location. The original statue remains in the Church of St. Andrew the First-Called Apostle (former Bernardine Church). 

Subject:
Statue of the Virgin Mary, Mariacka Sq., city greenery, people, pavement
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1904-1914
Format:
17х11 cm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00761
City: Lviv
Date: 1916-1918
Format: 17х12 cm
Creator: Istvan Medgyaszoy
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument, Military exhibit
ID: 02939
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1951
Format: Unknown
Creator: Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Melnyk
Subject: Stone, square, Svoboda avenue (1 Travnia street), Opera house, people
ID: 00866
City: Lviv
Date: 1948-1950
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument
ID: 08056
City: Kyiv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 15х10 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Monument, architecture, sculpture, park named after Shevchenko, university
ID: 01656
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1915-1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: ERBE
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Memorial, Golden Hill, church
ID: 00812
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakiv cemetery, trees, Maria Konopnicka monument, pioneers, flowers
ID: 09731
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Dominican church, museum of the history of religion and atheism, St. Onufriy church, Ivan Fedorov museum
ID: 01971
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject:
ID: 00846
City: Lviv
Date: 1953
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Subject: Monument to Stalin, B. Khmelnytskyi Park

The sculpture of the Virgin Mary was installed on 14 October 1997, on the feast of the Protection of the Mother of God. It is a copy of the statue which stood there from 1904 till the end of the Second World War.