Enclosing the Poltva River



ID number:
11749
Title:
Enclosing the Poltva River
City:
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1884-1900
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Lviv National Library after V. Stefanyk
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01232
City: Lviv
Date: 1917
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Wały Hetmańskie, buildings, Industry Museum, Transfiguration Church
ID: 03828
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1895-1901
Format: 120х150 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Rathausstrasse, Street
ID: 03928
City: Lviv
Date: 1938-1939
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Maryna Kursanova
Subject: Street, monastery, cars, people, mailbox
ID: 08537
City: Lviv
Date: 1906
Format: 90х140 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: J. Klein, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture
ID: 08545
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Yaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Yaroslav Yanchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture
Uzhgorod
ID: 00965
City: Uzhgorod
Date: 1924
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: K.K.L., Praha
Copyright: Rostyslav Tatomyr
Subject: streets, hotel, shops, people
ID: 02517
City: Lviv
Date: Unknown
Format: 10х15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: funeral procession, tram tracks, city construction
ID: 08635
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Yaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Yaroslav Yanchak
Subject: Street, booth, master plan, people
ID: 11241
City: Kyiv
Date: 1910-1917
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Subject: street, building

Adama Mitskevycha (Adam Mickiewicz) square is situated in downtown Lviv. Its previous names were Ferdinandplatz/Ferdynanda (1843-1871), Mariiska/plac Mariacki (1871-1944). Up to the late eighteenth century this was the site of the external city fortifications, and the river Poltva ran through the square, beyond which the road form the Halytska (“Galician”) Gate lay. After the medieval city fortifications were demolished, a triangular square was formed, with Poltva (now straddled with two bridges) running along its southwerstern side. The section of the river-bed running through the square was covered in the 1830s. The square played a crucial role in the events of 1848. It also held several prestigious Lviv (officially Lemberg at the time) hotels, including Hotel George (previously La Russie, in Soviet times known as Inturyst), Hotel Europa (in Soviet times known as Ukrayina), and Hotel Francuski (“French”, previously known as Langa), as well as the Mariacka Gallery. In 1862 a marble statue of Our Lady was installed in the square. The statue was sculpted by the Munich-based sculptor Johann Nepomuk Hauttmann, to order of Seweryna Badeni, wife to the Galician politician Count Władysław Badeni. A monument to Adam Mickiewicz was erected in the square in 1904, when the Our Lady statue was moved to the beginning of Karla Ludwiga St. and Hetmańskie Bulwarks (now Svobody Boulevard). The Our Lady statue was removed in Soviet times, and replaced with a fountain in the form of a chalice resting on tails of Tritons (mythological sea monsters), which was a popular location for romantic couples in the 1950s through the 1980s. In 1997 a copy of the original Our Lady statue was installed above the fountain.