Railway Station



ID number:
10660
Title:
Railway Station
City:
Description:

Lviv train station, built according to plans carried out in 1890, by the well-known architect Vladislav Sadlovski, profesor at the AgriculturalSchool, on the basis of given information, gathered by the director of the train station Ludwig Wezhbitz. Work on the project was carried out by experienced rail workers Y. Vysotski, F. Rybitski, senior commissars E. Tsyprian and A. Zazulia, architects A. Zakharievych, K. Zhechytski, H. Jablonski, Y. Hornunh, I. Kendzerski, T. Talovski. In 1902 the construction of this exemplary object began, which was realized by the building firm of I. Levyns’ky, A. Zakharevych and Y. Sosnovs’kyi. The momumental building of the Main Railway Station, built with the use of the newest technologies, was handed over to the city for use on March 26, 1904. On that day the dedication and grand opening of one of the biggest and nicest train stations in Europe at that time took place. Everything that surrounded the passenger in the train station’s building, created a feeling of comfort. Without a doubt, the Lviv main train station then was an example of the unity of art and technological progress, which for many years made it a favourite object for photographing. The buildings of the train station were temporarily destroyed in 1915 during the retreat of the Russian armies from Lviv. The station endured a lot of destruction during the battles for Lviv in 1918 - 1919, during the dramatic events of the Polish-Ukrainian wars; its full reconstruction was completed only in 1930, in fact, it was then that it became three-storied. On September 1, 1939, the Main Railway Station was practically destroyed by German air bombing. 150 km of rails on the area of 270 hectares were transformed into ruins. The trade station was ruined; telephone lines torn, Klepariv and Pidzamche stations ruined. A temporary train station was built in 1940, in 1941, 1 million krb. were set aside for the reconstruction of the train station. June 22, 1942 the train station and depot were bombarded once again, which brought about a temporary destruction. The Main Railway Station was rebuilt during the occupation. After the end of the war 6000 people worked on the reconstruction. The partly ruined main building, two locomotive depots, collapsed underground passages to the platforms, and platform trusses were reconstructed. In April 1945 a resolution was passed in the government “About the reconstruction and development of trade, transport and public utilities of the city of Lviv”. In the decree, the demands included, among others, the rebuilding of the passenger train station before October 1946. The reconstruction was finished in the established time period. The head of the Lviv train station at the time (1940-1949) was Petro Kas’ianovych Shakhrai, who up until the war was the head of the Odessa station, deputy head of the ministry of transportation of the South-Western railway, head of the Donetsk highway.

Creator:
R. Yakymenko
Publisher:
R. Yakymenko
Date:
1950-1980
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Львів. Залізничний вокзал

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 08762
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Building, tower, city hall
ID: 02745
City: Chernivtsi
Date: Interwar Years (1918-1939)
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Agentia Romana Hachette, Bucuresti
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Cernăuţi, Piata Unirii, Primaria, people
Chernivtsi
ID: 03740
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1930
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernauti, Town Hall, People
ID: 03107
City: Lviv
Date: 1985
Format: 17х17 сm
Creator: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City, city hall, Jesuits church, Dominican church, buildings
Lviv
ID: 03252
City: Lviv
Date: 1899
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Rommler & Jonas, Dresden
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Market Square, City Hall, architecture, market
ID: 01252
City: Lviv
Date: 1924-1926
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: City Hall, tower, Rynok
ID: 00524
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: City Hall, tower
ID: 09108
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 10x17 cm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Market Square, City Hall
ID: 10660
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: