Holy Trinity Church in Sykhiv



ID number:
08695
Title:
Holy Trinity Church in Sykhiv
City:
Subject:
Church, tree, architecture
Creator:
Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1956
Format:
10x15 сm
Copyright:
Jaroslav Janchak
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02241
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, church, architecture
ID: 02240
City: Lviv
Date: 1914-1919
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, tower, destruction
ID: 13776
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, city, religious buildings, architecture, building, church, people
ID: 08695
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Church, tree, architecture
ID: 13781
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: church, religious building, sculpture, facade, building, architecture
ID: 01658
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1920-1930
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 02103
City: Lviv
Date: 1930
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, wood, architecture, building
ID: 01761
City: Lviv
Date: 1937-1939
Format: 6,5х6,5 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Church of Our Lady of Ostra Brama, 175, Lychakivska St.
ID: 11042
City: Skole
Date: 1920-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Chudiyovych
Subject: Church

The wooden Holy Trinity Church (Presviatoji Trijtsi) was built in the 17th century in the village of Sykhiv (1683). The 1850 cadaster mentions both the church, a small bell tower and a nearby cemetery. The church was renovated in 1875, and fundamentally restored in 1932-1933, when the new stone foundation was put in place. The parish priest Andriy Ishchak (1887-1941), later beatified by the Pope Joph Paul II, was murdered near the church by the Soviet soldiers. He is buried in the church cemetery. In 1969 a restoration by Bohdan Kendzielski was undertaken. The church functioned until 1960s, when it was turned into a museum. The local Sykhiv inhabitants opened it again in 1990 as a Greek Catholic church, and in 1994 the interior paintings were restored.