Mariiska Square



ID number:
00519
Title:
Mariiska Square
City:
Description:

The central spot in the photograph is taken by the well with the Virgin Marystatue, which stood in this location on the south-eastern side of Mariacka Square, beginning 1904. The photograph itself originates from the times of the German occupation of Lviv. In the foreground a figure of a German military man can be seen. Further in is a fragment of the monument to Adam Mickiewicz, the chief accent of the square. The background is constituted by buildings Nos. 10 and 11, as well as building No. 15 on the corner of Halytska Square and building No. 1 on the corner of Akademichna St. The Building No. 10 (the Lewicki House, a building with four facades), no longer exists today. It was built around 1840, and traditionally housed porcelain and faience shop owned by the Kazimierz Lewicki company, as well as the Bajka (Fairy-tale) cinema (since 1909), situated in the buildings right wing; postwar residents of Lviv remember the cinema as the Ivan Franko Cinema. An electric tram can be seen turning before the building, which is on its way from the Stryiskyi Park to the central station by the Viennese Coffeehouse. Building No. 15 in Halytska Square, once premises to the Mortgage Bank, housed the Europa cinema from 1937 (after the Second World War the cinema was renamed Ukraina, and in the 1990s it was known as the Galician Centre for Film Arts; now it no longer exists, along with most old cinemas in Lviv), while during the Second World War the infamous Kripo, or Criminal Police department, was located here.

Subject:
Mariacka Square, fountain with Virgin MaryStatue, buildings, tram, passers-by, military man
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1941-1944
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Taras Pinyazhko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German:
Andanken von Lemberg 20 Original-Fotoaufnahmen
8. Marienplatz

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02009
City: Lviv
Date: 1895-1905
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Bernardine square, church, belfry, St. Jan from Dukla column, tram line, market, lanterns, people
ID: 03575
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Mytna Sq., walls, plants, decor
ID: 03574
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: 20х29 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, flowerbed, decorative elements
ID: 06202
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Square, building, architecture, public garden, transport, people
ID: 00602
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Krakowski square, Skarbek theatre
ID: 01033
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 11х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Square, buildings, church, tram, transport, public garden, tram line, people
ID: 13142
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: suqare, street, theatre, people, car
ID: 00580
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 9,5х14 сm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Bernardyński Square, Church, monastery, and tower of the Bernardine order, column, confectionery, brewery
ID: 00487
City: Lviv
Date: 1899-1902
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Stanislaw Tondos
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Museum of Ancient Handwritten Ukrainian Book Art LAG
Subject: Św.Ducha Square, church, city hall tower, tower of Latin Cathedral, tram

The sculpture of the Virgin Mary was installed on 14 October 1997, on the feast of the Protection of the Mother of God. It is a copy of the statue which stood there from 1904 till the end of the Second World War.