Former Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop



ID number:
03753
Title:
Former Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop
City:
Description:
The photo shows an early view of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi.
From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city.
The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds).
The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence with a balcony, the Seminary with a church on the left side and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden.
The building housed the greek-orthodox theological faculty ot the university of Chernivtsi which attracted students from all over the Empire, south-eastern Europe and the Middle East. After the second Wold War, the orthodox seminary was closed, the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today.
The photo shows the whole building from a southern perspective and some construction sites or empty building plots in the area between Residenz Gasse and Stern Gasse.

Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1882-1900
Format:
120х170 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02366
City: Lviv
Date: 1938-1939
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: M. Yanishevski
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, courtyard
ID: 10682
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Chapel
ID: 00557
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Szyjkowski, Lwow
Copyright: There are no Known Restrictions on the Usage of this Image
Subject: Sacre coeur monastery, green area
ID: 11154
City: Kyiv
Date: 1961
Format: Unknown
Creator: Myhaylo Sumyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Church
ID: 01350
City: Lviv
Date: 1880-1890
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Building of the seminary, belfry of the Holy Spirit Church, courtyard, seminarians
ID: 01030
City: Lviv
Date: 1946
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Assumption Church, Ruska Street, Pidvalna Street, green area
ID: 00460
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, wall, street, transport
ID: 02118
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cathedral, chapel, architecture, square, buildings
ID: 08705
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Janchak A.
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Church, building, architecture