Promenade alley on Svobody avenue



ID number:
02977
Title:
Promenade alley on Svobody avenue
City:
Description:

Depicted here is the parade square of the central promenade of Karl Ludwig st., which came about at the end of the 18th century after the dismantling of the city’s fortifying walls. The flower-bed in the foreground existed on this spot until the construction of the monument to King Jan Sobieski III. The newly created street, received the name Lower Bulwarks during the beginning of its existence. Already in the 1920s it became a favourite spot for Lvivites to stroll, especially after the fixing of the square on the area where the Poltva was directed underground. The street connected Mariatz and Holukhovs’yi squares and formed as a continuation of the Lviv salon: Akademichna st - Mariatz sq., - Karl Ludwig st. On July 30, 1855 it was named in honour of the Austrian Duke Charles Louis Frederick (Herzog Carl Ludwig) brother of emperor Franz Josef I, who during his stay in Lviv in 1853-1855, lived in the building of the Land Credit Society. The even numbered side of Karl Ludwig st. was called upper, odd numbered – lower. During the regular ordering of the streets of the city in 1871 the even numbered side received the name of Hetman st., odd – Karl Ludwig st., from 1919 – Legions st. The city boulevard between the future streets of Hetman, Karl Ludwig and Mariatz sq., formed around 1820 on the spot of the former fortifications. In 1859 the oldest monument in Lviv– the sculpture of Hetman Stanislaw Jablonowski, done by an unknown author, was transferred to the Bulwarks. Then, the long alley, which occupied a square of 1 hec., received the name Hetman’s Bulwarks. After the final burial of the Poltva in 1888-1890, the Bulwarks were rebuilt, widened, decorated with flower-beds and alleys of chestnuts, maples, acacia. At the turn of the century, with the construction of a new city theatre and monument to King Jan Sobieski III, the Hetman’s Bulwarks received their final actual appearance. The image is made up of stone castles on the even side, between Sykstuska (now Doroshenka) and Yahellon’ska (now Hnatiuka) streets – № 11, 13, 15. № 11 – “Central” Hotel, later “City”, built by the architect Emanuel Hall in 1881-1884. At the beginning of the 20th c. the well-known confectionery of Alexander Bieniets’kyi was located here. № 13 – luxurious in those times, “Grand – hotel”, built in 1893 by the architect Erasmus Hermatnyk and sculptor Leonard Markoni. The building was completed by the architect Sigmund Kendzers’kyi, who repeated the joining of the hotel, through its gates, with the Hausman passage, as had been done with the preceding building on this spot. For many years the confectionery of the exceptional Lviv confectioner Leopold Rotlender was located in the preceding building, of which legends circulated even during his lifetime. № 15 – building of the Galician savings-bank, built by the known Polish architect, professor Julian Zakharevych on the spot of the “English” hotel.

Subject:
Karl Ludwig st., hotels, Galician savings-bank , square
Creator:
Franciszek Rychnowski
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1894
Format:
30х40 сm
Copyright:
Oleksandr Korobov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03154
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 18х22 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Street, detention center, transport, paving, people
ID: 00706
City: Stryj
Date: 1900-1915
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jakob Pritch, Stryj
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City buildings, street, children, passers, carts
ID: 11824
City: Lviv
Date: 1957-1965
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: avenue, building
ID: 08731
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, architectural elements, paving, people
ID: 08008
City: Lviv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Street, buildings, tram, tram line, St. Michael church
ID: 01845
City: Lviv
Date: 1837
Format: 16,3х23,6 сm; 22х28,6 сm
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Panska Street, Governor's Palace, Chołoniewskis Palace, Governor's Bulwarks, horsemen
ID: 00698
City: Lutsk
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: M. Shnaider, Lutsk
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City buildings, street, passers, carts, telegraph poles
ID: 08150
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, cottages
ID: 03516
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Street, people, advertising
The Prospect Svobody Promenade – formerly, the Hetman Ramparts – was laid in on top of the western section of the historic defensive fortifications that ringed Lviv. The walls were pulled down sometime around 1776 and put into public service of the city. In the first half of the 19th century, parallel streets were established on the eastern and western banks of the Poltva River, and landscaped in rows of poplar; the streets would one day become the boulevard that is Prospect Svobody. In the late 1880s, arched bridges spanned the gap between Maryatska Square (currently, Mickiewicz Square) and Golukhovska Square (currently, Torhova Square). Between 1888-1890, under the direction of Arnold Röhring, the area enclosing the underground river channel was planted in trees and flowerbeds.