Basilian Monastery

ID number:
Basilian Monastery
A view of the Basilian Monastery through a breach in the castle wall. The Buchach Castle was constructed in 1580. In the middle of the seventeenth century its owner, Mikolaj Potocki, built a new castle for himself and the old castle was abandoned. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the owners of the castle allowed citizens to disassemble the castle walls for a fee to further use them as building materials; this caused irreparable damage. The monastery of the Basilians in Buchach is located on the slopes of Fedir Mountain. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery.
Nazar Kis
Monastery, church
Unpublished resources
10х15 сm
Volodymyr Rumyantsev

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.


ID: 02270
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 17х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: St. George church, architecture, aculpture
ID: 02241
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, church, architecture
ID: 08695
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Church, tree, architecture
ID: 01292
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: 12х18 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Franciscan Church, Lysenka Street, buildings, passersby, green growth
ID: 02240
City: Lviv
Date: 1914-1919
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, tower, destruction
ID: 01358
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 14х10 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Lychakivska Street, St. Peter and Paul Church
ID: 01636
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1920-1930
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 02263
City: Lviv
Date: 1934-1939
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Committee construction of St. Andrew church
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Klepariv, church, construction
ID: 03749
City: Chernivtsi
Date: Interwar years (1918-1939)
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, Church