St. Nicolas church and the old university



ID number:
02311
Title:
St. Nicolas church and the old university
City:
Subject:
Church, university, balustrade, public garden
Creator:
Jan Bulhak
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1930-1939
Format:
17х11 cm
Copyright:
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 07918
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Auditorium, students, professor
ID: 11904
City: Lviv
Date: May 1963
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: university
ID: 12144
City: Lviv
Date: August 1954
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: portrait, people, street, university, architecture
ID: 10665
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Galician Diet building, park, people, flower-beds
ID: 09770
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: V. Ivanova
Publisher: Ministry of Communications of the USSR
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Galician Diet building, park, university
ID: 02311
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, university, balustrade, public garden
ID: 07964
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: university, street, panorama, buildings, towers, television tower
ID: 09710
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 03063
City: Lviv
Date: 1939-1941
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject:
Former St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church (presently the Greek Catholic Church of the Protection of the Mother of God) was built beyond the limits of the city’s center. It is located in the region of a former southern suburb on the site of an old wooden church that dated to the end of the seventeenth century. The main construction periods are 1739-1745 (by the architects F. Placidi or K. Hranatskyi?), and 1924-1926 (partial reconstruction of the cells, by the architect Tadeusz Wróbel).
A former convent school, later – a Lviv University building. It was originally built in 18th century, one of the major reconstructions was carried out in 1842 according to design of Fidelis Stadler. It is an example of Neo-Classicism in Lviv. It was built for a Jesuit convent school for young people from noble families. Later it housed military barracks. In 1851 it was transferred to the ownership of Lviv Franz-Joseph I University. Today (2015) it is one of Lviv Ivan Franko National University, it's Biology Department is located here.