Fountain with a sculpture of Diana on Rynok square



ID number:
01867
Title:
Fountain with a sculpture of Diana on Rynok square
City:
Subject:
Rynok square, fountain, sculpture, market
Creator:
Wlodzimierz Puchalski
Publisher:
"Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Date:
1938
Format:
10x15 сm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In Polish: 344 Lwów. Studnia z figurą Diany w Rynku. Fot. Wł. Puchalski.
Wydawca i druk: S. A. Książnica Atlas, Lwów, ul. Czarnieckiego 12. 1938

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01866
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Rynok square, fountain, sculpture, historical buildings
ID: 01873
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1939
Format: 11x17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, well, fountain, sculpture, former Palace of Justice
ID: 01426
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 40x30 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Statue of the Virgin Mary, Mariacka Sq., Kopernyka St., electric illumination, decor
ID: 11834
City: Lviv
Date: 1958
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: fountain, park
ID: 01931
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1904
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, architecture, alley, public garden, well, sculpture, flowerbed, transport, people
ID: 01421
City: Lviv
Date: 1950
Format: 12x10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Fountain, buildings of Mitskevycha Square and 1 Travnia St., people
ID: 01422
City: Lviv
Date: 1950
Format: 10x12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Fountain, buildings of Mitskevycha Square and 1 Travnia St.
ID: 08228
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 9х14 cm
Creator: Leonid Zapadenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Square, fountain, buildings, monument, architecture
ID: 01420
City: Lviv
Date: 1950
Format: 15x10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Fountain, 1 Travnia Street, buildings, people, city vegetation
The building is one of the best examples of late Renaissance architecture in Lviv. Its construction goes back to the end of the sixteenth century, with reconstruction work done in 1737-1739. The building is a prime example of the city’s palace architecture from the Renaissance period. Its traditional name, Bandinelli Palazzo, comes from the last name of its early owner. The building occupies a corner lot on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The northern façade is on Stavropihiyska Street.
The building dates back to the sixteenth century, and was rebuilt in the eighteenth century (under the architect Piotr Polejowski). In the stone building’s architecture, elements of the late Baroque period (the sculptural décor of the first floor) are united with a Classicist interpretation of the façade. The stone building stands on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The four-story structure has an elongated configuration that is oriented along an east-west axis. Today (2008) it is a residential building.
Chorna Kamianytsia ("The Black House"). This building is an architectural monument of the late Renaissance. It was built in 1588-1589 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn) and in 1596 (addition of the third floor, by architect P. Krasowski). Later reconstruction dates to 1677 (the façade sculptures and the attic, by architect M. Hradowski), 1884 (addition of the fourth floor by architects M. Fechter and A. Pjotrowski), 1911 (restoration of the façade by architect E. Zychowicz) and 1926 (restoration of the interior). The premises are used for expositions of the Lviv History Museum, for which function they were adapted in 1926.
According to historian Yuri Biriuliov, among the "best work of Hartman Witwer (1774-1825) are ... the four stone statues made out of limestone and located at the wells on Market Square – they embodied the allegory of earth (the sculptures of Diana and Adonis) and water (the sculptures of Neptune and Amphitrite). The Market Square figures were created some time between 1810 and 1814, and are mentioned in original sources first in 1815, when the city council passed a resolution forbidding damage to the sculptures during the celebration of the traditional Ukrainian "Jordan" holiday ([the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, and] the sanctification of water)." On the western side of the square are fountains with the figures of Neptune (the southwestern corner) and Amphitrite (the northwestern corner). On the eastern side are fountains with the figures of Adonis (northeast) and Diana (southeast side).