Church of St. Mary Magdalene



ID number:
01848
Title:
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
City:
Description:

View of western and southern façades of the St. Mary Magdalene Church depicted before the church’s 1889 reconstruction, based on the project of architect Julian Zachariewicz. It was in the course of this reconstruction that the church’s towers received their present spires. The small original church was constructed in 1615-1630 by architects Jan Godny and Albert Kelar. The contours of this building can be seen in the altar part of today’s church, to which architect Marcin Urbanik appended the main three-nave body in 1753-1758. The view of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene as immortalized by the painter originates from 1784, when the church underwent another reconstruction. Sculptures by Sebastian Fesinger were placed on the building’s façade between towers with tent-shaped roofs. The main architectural accent was placed on the church’s main (western) façade – its clearly horizontally divided planes were decorated with pilasters in different orders: Doric in the first level, Ionic in the second, and Corinthian in the third. The smooth plane of the southern wall, with its clear rhythm of window apertures stands in contrast to the resplendent western façade.
Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Church
Creator:
Josef Svoboda
Publisher:
Kornel Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1st half of the XIXth Century
Format:
13х16,5 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Kościół Maryi Magdaleny

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02236
City: Lviv
Date: 1931
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Vavzhynets Daychak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics
ID: 02124
City: Lviv
Date: 1928-1930
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, building, architecture
ID: 02034
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Architecture, church, arsenal, square
ID: 01261
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 100x150 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Bernardyński Square, Bernardine Church, green area, tram tracks
ID: 01829
City: Lviv
Date: 1847
Format: 16,5х23,9 сm, 22,2х28,8 сm
Creator: Teofil Żychowicz
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Cathedral, belfry, Campians chapel, carriage, Katedralna Square
ID: 00663
City: Lviv
Date: 1901-1906
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: St. Michael Carmelites Cathedral, Charnetskyi St., horse-drawn carriages
ID: 01441
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1920
Format: 22,5х16 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, St. Anne’s Cathedral, M. Zhuravsky
ID: 02017
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Funeral, St. Andrew church, monastery
Bruchowychi
ID: 02235
City: Bruchowychi
Date: 1925
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Marian Nikodemovych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics
St. Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church (presently the Organ Music Hall). The church was constructed on an elevation far from the Lviv center, in the district of the former southwestern suburb. The side façade faces Shashkevycha Square, while on the north a block of the former Dominican Monastery cells has been built onto the church. The church’s 300-year old construction chronology includes several periods: of 1609-1612 (construction of the western part of the church by the architect M. Hodny), 1630-1635, 1758 (adding a nave and the towers by the architect M. Urbanik), 1880 (stairway with a terrace), 1889 (domes over the towers by the architect J. Zachariewicz) and 1929 (cells reconstruction). The architecture of the church includes late Renaissance, Baroque and Revival features.