Church of St. Mary Magdalene



ID number:
01848
Title:
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
City:
Description:

View of western and southern façades of the St. Mary Magdalene Church depicted before the church’s 1889 reconstruction, based on the project of architect Julian Zachariewicz. It was in the course of this reconstruction that the church’s towers received their present spires. The small original church was constructed in 1615-1630 by architects Jan Godny and Albert Kelar. The contours of this building can be seen in the altar part of today’s church, to which architect Marcin Urbanik appended the main three-nave body in 1753-1758. The view of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene as immortalized by the painter originates from 1784, when the church underwent another reconstruction. Sculptures by Sebastian Fesinger were placed on the building’s façade between towers with tent-shaped roofs. The main architectural accent was placed on the church’s main (western) façade – its clearly horizontally divided planes were decorated with pilasters in different orders: Doric in the first level, Ionic in the second, and Corinthian in the third. The smooth plane of the southern wall, with its clear rhythm of window apertures stands in contrast to the resplendent western façade.
Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Church
Creator:
Josef Svoboda
Publisher:
Kornel Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1st half of the XIXth Century
Format:
13х16,5 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Kościół Maryi Magdaleny

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02086
City: Lviv
Date: 1908
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, architecture, church, college
ID: 03521
City: Lviv
Date: 1906
Format: 16х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Latin cathedral, altar, sculptures, architectural details
Truskavec
ID: 00713
City: Truskavec
Date: 1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon Rosenschein, Budapest-Drohobycz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Truskavets, park, Roman Catholic church
ID: 02127
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1907
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, church, monastery, architecture
ID: 03736
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Bahnhofstrasse,
ID: 02008
City: Lviv
Date: 1926
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Church, square, St. Jan from Duklia column
ID: 02042
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: God's body church and Dominican monastery, Pidvalna street, royal arsenal, public garden, Пovernor shaft
ID: 12121
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: sacral building, street, square, people
ID: 00459
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Teodor Shaynok
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: View on former St. John the Baptist church
St. Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church (presently the Organ Music Hall). The church was constructed on an elevation far from the Lviv center, in the district of the former southwestern suburb. The side façade faces Shashkevycha Square, while on the north a block of the former Dominican Monastery cells has been built onto the church. The church’s 300-year old construction chronology includes several periods: of 1609-1612 (construction of the western part of the church by the architect M. Hodny), 1630-1635, 1758 (adding a nave and the towers by the architect M. Urbanik), 1880 (stairway with a terrace), 1889 (domes over the towers by the architect J. Zachariewicz) and 1929 (cells reconstruction). The architecture of the church includes late Renaissance, Baroque and Revival features.