Cathedral of the Assumption of Our Lady



ID number:
01825
Title:
Cathedral of the Assumption of Our Lady
City:
Description:

A characteristic depiction of the Roman Catholic Cathedral, dominating the general contour of the city. In the foreground lies Katedralna square, bustling with many city-dwellers, which gives the picture its special poetic and romantically tinted character. Foundations of the main Roman Catholic sanctuary of Lviv were laid in 1360 by King Kazimierz the Great. Construction of the Cathedral, based on plans by Peter Stecher took a comparatively long time. In 1479-1481 construction was finally completed by architects Joachim Grom and Ambrozy Rabisz. The building is a three-nave church of stern and simple, but simultaneously monumental and noble forms with an elongated altar. A massive tower is adjacent on the western façade. Another adjoining tower only reaches roof level. The church is graced by high elongated stained-glass windows, as well as a series of counterforces propping up the walls. The church saw many reconstructions over the course of its existence; its original Gothic forms were replaced by Baroque ones. In the course of the reconstructions, many of the chapels that had sprung up around the original church over the centuries, were demolished, leaving only a few, such as the Campians’ chapel. Karl Auer’s depiction of the Cathedral is well-crafted, precise and detailed, and its use of perspective is masterly.
Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Cathedral, belfry, Campians' Chapel, carriage, Katedralna square, people
Creator:
Karl Auer
Publisher:
Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1837
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Auer rys. i lit. u P. Pillera we Lwowie
Kościół Katedralny we Lwowie
Die Kathedralkirche in Lemberg.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Truskavec
ID: 00713
City: Truskavec
Date: 1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon Rosenschein, Budapest-Drohobycz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Truskavets, park, Roman Catholic church
ID: 02137
City: Lviv
Date: 1904
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Stefan Wierusz Niemojowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church of the Presentation of the Lord, churches, architecture, archbishop palace, mountain, people
ID: 01999
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Yanivska, Horodoka streets, St. Anna church
ID: 02225
City: Lviv
Date: 1929-1931
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Julian Duchovych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics
ID: 02088
City: Lviv
Date: 1901
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Streets, buildings, architecture, church
ID: 01825
City: Lviv
Date: 1837
Format: Unknown
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Cathedral, belfry, Campians' Chapel, carriage, Katedralna square, people
ID: 02231
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: T. Todorovski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, model
ID: 02371
City: Dobromyl
Date: 2004
Format: 30х20 сm
Creator: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Church
ID: 01672
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1930
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church

The Cathedral is the only object of Gothic architecture in Lviv, preserved in its integrity. Its tower, along with the City Hall, the Kornyakt tower, and the bell tower of the former Bernardine church are symbols of the city, dominating in the panorama of its central part.
At present this is the Roman Catholic Arch-Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also known as the Metropolitan Basilica, an architectural monument of national significance (protection number 316/0).