Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church



ID number:
01659
Title:
Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church
City:
Description:

Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church of the 16th c. was built on a hillside, where, possibly, Shchyrets was located in the 12th c. After a number of Tartar invasions, fires and destructions of the temple, it was rebuilt in 1662, and gained its current appearance in 1892. At first, the church had three bells and had wooden cupolas on stone walls, but after the rebuilding and reconstruction of 1893, according to the work of the well known Galician architect Vasyl’ Nahirnyi, it was left with one cupola. During the reconstruction of 1934, led by the Lviv architect Lev Levynskyi, a new cupola was put in place and elegant arches removed when the cupola windows were surrounded by a wall. This simpler treatment of the top of the church broke the unity of the composition, put in place by the architect V. Nahirnyi. Then a “babynets” was built of cut stone, which split from the original project even more. Next to the entrance gateway-belltower of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church in the walls, a space was made for the deacon school. In the 19th c. it no longer functioned, and the building was used for the housekeeping needs of the church. In 1915 its roof, along with parts of the wall, were destroyed.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Subject:
Church, belltower, wall
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1930-1939
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02262
City: Lviv
Date: 1934-1939
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Committee construction of St. Andrew church
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Klepariv, church, architecture
ID: 01637
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: God's coffin, chapel, "Luh"
ID: 13776
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, city, religious buildings, architecture, building, church, people
ID: 02103
City: Lviv
Date: 1930
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, wood, architecture, building
Chernivtsi
ID: 03774
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1890-1896
Format: 120х160 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Church
Chernivtsi
ID: 02731
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1930
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Cernăuţi, Church
ID: 02995
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, church, ruins
ID: 02581
City: Buchach
Date: 1950-1960
Format: 152x108 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Church
ID: 02244
City: Lviv
Date: 1908-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, church, fence, tram line, transport, people