St. Stanislav church



ID number:
01641
Title:
St. Stanislav church
City:
Description:

The typical method of collecting donations for the needs of the church were “tseholky”- postcards, which were marked for doners. On the picture- a project, one of the variants for the reconstruction of St. Stanislav church. Most likely, the postcard was put out with the goal of fundraising during the reconstruction of 1910-1912. The church of St. Stanislav was built in 1400, a Roman Catholic parish existed already in 1397, when Shchyrets’ acquired Magdeburg law. According to the traditions of medieval urban planning the church was situated on the corner (south-eastern) of the central market square. This temple was a part of the city fortifications and the perimeter of the walls had battle openings and a stone .... for the defenders. During the church restoration in 1912 (for the celebration of 500-years since the Grundwald battle) these stone testimonies to the military past were walled over. The renewal and restoration were realized according to the re-worked project of Juzef Hornunh; the author of the completed project was probably Woitsekh Brettner. At that time they rebuilt the tower, ruined in 1834, on which in 1910 a memorial board of black marble had been put, on the occasion of the 500 year anniversary of the Grundwald battle, with the words “Grundwald Memorial 1410-1910”. In 1934 a memorial board was hung at the church entrance on the occasion of the 500-year anniversary of the death of king Vladislav Yahaila; on it was written “For King Vladislav Yahaila on the 500-year anniversary of his death the city of Shchyrets shows respect 31 May 1934”. Even today the functioning church of St. Stanislav is one of the few Roman Catholic temples in the Lviv region, which functioned during Soviet times.
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy

Subject:
Church
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1910-1912
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01825
City: Lviv
Date: 1837
Format: Unknown
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Cathedral, belfry, Campians' Chapel, carriage, Katedralna square, people
ID: 03071
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Square, church
Truskavec
ID: 00713
City: Truskavec
Date: 1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon Rosenschein, Budapest-Drohobycz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Truskavets, park, Roman Catholic church
ID: 03538
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Church
ID: 01441
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1920
Format: 22,5х16 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, St. Anne’s Cathedral, M. Zhuravsky
ID: 02042
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: God's body church and Dominican monastery, Pidvalna street, royal arsenal, public garden, Пovernor shaft
ID: 01639
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1900-1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church, square
ID: 03728
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1901
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Church
ID: 02229
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: T. Todorovski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics