Crossroad of Ruska and Pidvalna Streets



ID number:
12802
Title:
Crossroad of Ruska and Pidvalna Streets
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Polish
Subject:
street, city hall tower, sacral building, tram
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1960-1980
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 08742
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, public garden, flowerbed, trading, advertising, people
ID: 09011
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, public garden, Bernardine monastery, wall, underpass, tram, tram line, transport, visual propaganda, people
ID: 08906
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, public garden, buildings, architecture, transport, people
ID: 06223
City: Lviv
Date: 1961-1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Nemyrova-Danchenka street, buildings, architecture, city greenery
ID: 06226
City: Lviv
Date: 1987-1990
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, building, architecture
ID: 03274
City: Lviv
Date: 1906-1909
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, perspective, stores, hotel, currency exchange, tram line, people
ID: 07916
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 15х10 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Street, square, Jesuits church, flowerbed, people
ID: 01226
City: Lviv
Date: 1914
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Karl-Ludwig-Strasse, Wały Hetmańskie, hotels, buildings, theater
ID: 08670
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, public garden, trading, people

The four-storied building on the corner of Ruska and Pidvalna streets was built in 1905-1906 under a project designed by architects Ivan Levynskyi (Jan Lewiński) and Tadeusz Obmiński. The building is one of the best and brightest examples of the "Hutsul" Secession in Ukraine; it is an architectural monument (protection number 391). The Dnister company played a quite remarkable and symbolic role in the cultural life of the Ukrainian community in the early 20th c. Today the building is occupied by the First municipal clinic.

The Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God – formerly known as Voloska church is the key element of a wonderful architectural ensemble that includes the church, bell tower (it is built onto the church from the north) and the chapel building in the yard. This is the best Lviv Renaissance monument; its architecture unites the West European Renaissance forms with the tradition of the Eastern Christianity sacral construction.  The church stands at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets, on the site of an old church of the fifteenth century. In was constructed from 1591 to 1629 (by the architects P. Rymlianyn, V. Kapinos, A. Prykhylnyi) and in 1796 (rebuilt after fire). In the middle of the nineteenth century the church was connected with the Three Prelates Chapel.  
The bell tower of Assumption Church – Korniakta Tower is an element of the Assumption Church ensemble; it is located at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets. The tower is connected with the northern façade of the church. The historic name of the Korniakt tower is connected with the name of its founder. The main construction dates are 1572-1578 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn), 1695 (adding the upper tier by the architect P. Beber), and the 1780’s (restoration after fire). The tower has clear style features of the Renaissance as well as Baroque period (top part of the tower).