The map was created by Franz d'Ertel.
The unique feature of this map is that it shows the remnants of the existing fortifications from the Middle Ages.
- In the upper right corner is the name: “Map of Lemberg” (Plan von Lemberg).
- In the lower right corner is information about the
date the illustration was drawn and the signature of Anton v.
Pinterhoffen (Lemberg von 23 Marty 1780. Anton v
Pinterhoffen  Ingenieur).
- Beneath that is information about the creator: “Frans d’Ertel” (Franz d'Ertel [Lieutet Ingl]).
- In the upper left corner is the wind rose, and a cross section of the measuring line near a sample of the city fortifications.
- In the lower left corner is a graphic depiction of the map’s scale.
- Drawn by hand using ink and colored with gouache.
- Building configurations are shown schematically.
- The configuration of the fortifications is drawn in detail around the city: the walls, ramparts, towers and gates.
- The demolished fragments of the defensive walls are indicated with a dotted line.
- The buildings are not numbered.
- District boundaries are not marked.
- All the wording on the map is in German.
Includes nearly 90 objects:
- Administrative buildings (1)
- Roads (6)
- Unidentified (2)
- Miscellanea (41)
- Orchards (3)
- Sacred Buildings (14)
- Military buildings (3)
- Agricultural buildings (1)
- Fortifications (46)
- Czerner Olgierd. Lwów na dawnej rycinie i planie. Wrocław. Zakład Narodowy imienia Ossolińskich. 1997. Il. 75.
The map shows the central portion of Lviv with the remnants of the fortifications that used to surround the city center and fragments of Jan Berens’s defensive line in the Brody suburbs.
Fragments of the bastion type sections of the defensive walls in the suburbs from the hill near St. Mykhajlo’s Church to the intersection of modern day Knjazja Romana, Ivan Franko and Bohomoltsja streets are shown.
This map was part of an improvement plan that would have reconstructed the city within the walls; it was under the direction of architect Defile and Director of the Project-Building Department K. Kaspari. , p. 179
The liquidation of defensive structures around the city center, which began in 1777 under the direction of Clemence Fesinger, was a prominent factor in the city’s development. In hopes of enticing locals to construct new buildings, the debris from the demolished gates and walls were sold as inexpensive building materials. , p. 64, , p. 115
The map shows the already destroyed segments of the Nyzkyj (Lower) wall between the Jesuit gate and bastion I (Hetmanska), separate fragments from bastion II (Hrodska) and bastion III (Krakivska) and sections between the Krakiv gate and Malyi beluard. , p. 221
1780 was a memorable year for the city because Josef II came to visit in May and June. As a way to commemorate this visit the park, which up until that time was called Lonshanivka (Lonszanówka), was renamed Kaiserwald. This name is still used today though the park is now officially called Znesinnja. , p. 85
At this time the only newly built public buildings were the educational establishment Collegium Pijary in the Brody suburb (1776) and the structure of the wooden theatre led by Gottersdorf (Göttersdorf) which from 1775 to 1785 was located near the Jesuit gate (probably the building colored in yellow and marked with a letter “k”). , p. 69, , p. 123
In 1780 the estimated number of inhabitants in the city was nearly 25 000 individuals. , p. 113 The increase in the population was attributed to an increase in officials which came to work in the capital city of Lviv. , p. 35
The educated traveler Baltasar Hacquet gives an indication that Lviv contained nearly 2759 buildings in 1790. , p. 30
Most of the residential buildings in the center of the city had additions, were modified or were newly constructed in the middle to end of the 19th century. In 1780 the magistrate issued an order concerning new constructions; this order required the builder to submit a construction plan for Police approval. , p. 30, , p. 116, 125
Entry by: Serhiy Tereshchenko