The map shows the territory of the city, with suburbs and surrounding villages, after the demolition of defensive walls around the inner city center.
The map is not dated. Because the building of the Strzelnica and casernes on Zamarstynow are present on the plan, it can be assumed that the plan reflects the urban environment, characteristic of the city in the end of 1820-s.
The map was signed by Blaim, Maichrowicz, Lang and Galinski.
A closer analysis reveals much more precise graphic execution of the plan, and much more exact reflection of the land's relief. This new technique of drawing plans was introduced in the Austrian Empire after 1806, when the second measurement campaign of Galicia's territory for military needs began , p. 22.
- The upper right corner of the plan holds the name "Plan of the city of Lemberg with its suburbs and extreme boudaries" (Plan der Stadt Lemberg mit ihren Vorstädten und äußersten Gränzen).
- The lower right corner holds a number of names – presumably these belong to authors The text is not fully legible. (Gezeichnet von Blaim, Maichrowicz, Lang. Beschrieben [von] Galiński)
- The lower right corner holds the measurement scale (Maastab von 500 Wiener Klaftern).
- The upper left corner holds the orientation symbol (wind rose).
- The lower left corner holds the scheme of the city’s division into quarters or suburbs, and a key to the symbols on the plan.
- "City territory or inner city" (Stadt Teritorium).
- "Galician" suburb or first quarter. The limits of this quarter are demarcated by a black dotted line (Der Halitcher Vorstadt oder 1-tem Viertel).
- "Cracow" suburb, or second quarter. The limits of this quarter are delineated by a red dotted line (Der Krakauer Vorstadt oder 2-tem Viertel).
- "Żółkiew" suburb, or third quarter, demarcated by a yellow dotted line" (Der Zolkiewer Vorstadt oder 3-tem Viertel).
- "Brody" suburb, or fourth quarter, demarcated by an orange dotted line" (Der Broder Vorstadt oder 4-tem Viertel).
- From the northern side: "Boundary with the lands of the villages of Zboiska and Zamarstynow" (Gränze mit den Gründen der Dörfer Zboisk und Zamarstynow) and "Boundary with the lands of the village of Kleparow" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Kleparow).
- From the western side: "Boundary with the lands of the village of Bilohorzczer" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Bilohorzczer) and "Boundary with the lands of the village of Signiuwka" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Signiuwka).
- From the southern side: "Boundary with the lands of the villages of Kulparkow and Sokolniki" (Gränze mit den Gründen der Dörfer Kulparkow und Sokolniki), "Boundary with the lands of the village of Zubra" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Zubrza), "Boundary with the lands of the village of Kozielniki" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Kozielniki), "Boundary with Zichow" (Gränze mit Zichow).
- From the eastern side: "Boundary with the Cammeral Estate of Winniki" (Gränze mit dem Cammeral Gut Winniki), "Boundary with Lesienic" (Gränze mit Lesienic), "Boundary with the lands of the village of Krzywce" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Krzywce), "Boundary with the limits of the village of Zniesienie" (Gränze mit den Gründen des Dorfes Zniesienie).
- The map is drawn using the technique of color lithography.
- The plan provides detailed configuration of separate buildings.
- No numbering of the buildings is provided.
- The limits of the suburbs are marked by dotted lines of various colors.
- Names of the surrounding villages and territories are provided on the outer limits of the city districts. A line demarcates the boundary, the crossing of which activated the "Maut Linien Graben" tax.
- All object names on the map are given in German.
The plan provides a list of approx. 125 objects.
- Administrative buildings: (6).
- Hydronyms: (2).
- Horonyms: (1).
- Streets and roads: Strasse (4), Gasse (11), Chausse (4).
- Care facilities: (1).
- Cemetaries: (4).
- Quarries: (8).
- Medical facilities: (1).
- Palazzos: (1).
- Miscellanea: (2).
- Turnpikes: (9).
- Gardens: (3).
- Sacred buildings: (27).
- Military buildings: (7).
- Husbandry buildings: (14).
- Educational buildings: (5).
- Theaters: (1).
- Hills: (1).
- Fortifications: (3).
Inconsistencies and inaccuracies on the map:
- The building of the Duty Administration on the plan is subscribed as "Die Bankal Administration".
Characterization of the city:
The plan shows the changes in the urban environment of the city after the almost complete liquidation of fortification remnants around the central part of the city.
Beginning 1811, a number of measures were introduced to improve the appearance and functionability of the territories freed as a result of demolishing defensive walls and bulwarks. Today's Virmenska and Lesi Ukrayinky Streets were connected; Serbska St. was extended over the Bernardynskyi Garden. These changes improved communication between the city and its suburbs. A defensive ditch along today's Pidvalna Street was covered, and a new road was laid across the bulwarks , p. 442.
In 1816 Provincial Counsellor Reizenheim headed works aimed at ordering the territory formerly occupied by fortificatinos. Trees were planted along the former defensive walls next to the stream of the river Poltva, and a promenade was constructed. Planning for Hubernatorski Bulwarks was completed in 1821. The same year, a palazzo was constructed here, to which the residence of the Governor of Galicia was moved , p. 61-62; , p. 444.
Lanes for strollers were constructed in 1820 at the foot of the Wronowskich Hill, next to the Pelczyński Pond. In 1821, a building of the Military Swimming School was built on the shore of the pond, following the initiative of Cavalry General Fresnel , p. 62; , p. 446.
In 1821 Jan Dienstl acquired the territory of the so-called Węgliński forest in the southeastern part of the city. There he had a park constructed, subsequently known as Pohulanka , p. 384.
According to a descripition of Lviv by Chodynicki, lighting of the city’s streets began in 1801. Paving and other maintenance works for streets and roads began in the next decade , p. 443-444.
As of 1823, city population was 48,276. The period from the late 1820s until the early 1830s saw a decline in population due to cholera epidemics , p. 35, 113.
As of 1821, the city had 2,478 buildings. Extensive construction was characteristic for Lviv in the first half of the nineteenth century, which was also the time many buildings were rebuilt, gaining more stories. , p. 31.
Entry by: Serhii Tereshchenko
Translation by: Pavlo Hrytsak