This map shows the territory of the city of Stanisławow (known from 1962 onwards as Ivano-Frankivsk), with 16 suburban quarters.
The map is not dated. The graphic execution of the map was undertaken by L. Siemek.
The map was reprinted at Piller-Neumann's printing house in Lviv.
- The upper left corner holds the map's name: "Map of the city of Stanisławów" (Plan miasta Stanisławowa).
- Below this is the inscription saying that the graphic execution of the map was approved by the Technical Department of the City Council (Zatwierdzony przez wydział techniczny Magistratu).
- Next to this is the information about the map's author – "Drawn by L. Siemek"(Wykonał - L. Siemek).
- An inscription to the right says that the publication was funded by Roman Jasielki's Bookstore in Stanisławow (Nakładem księgarni Romana Jasielskiego w Stanisławowie).
- The upper right corner holds a separate box, showing the central part of the city, the so called "Inner City" (Śródmieście), at the scale of 1:5000.
- The lower left corner contains the information that this reprint of the map was published by Piller-Neumann’s establishment in Lviv (Repr[odukcja] Piller-Neumanna, Lwów).
- The map was drawn using color lithography techniques.
- The map details the construction configurations of objects from the legend.
- The map does not provide numbering of the buildings.
- Names of city quarters, streets, as well as some natural and public objects are indicated directly on the map.
- City and quarter limits are marked with a black dotted line.
- All object names on the map are provided in Polish.
The map's toponymics includes around 440 objects:
- Administrative buildings: (21).
- Banks: (9).
- Streets, squares, roads: (271).
- Hydronyms: (2).
- City quarters: (16)
- Cultural establishments: (3).
- Care establishments: (16).
- Railway: (4).
- Casino: (1).
- Cemeteries: (4).
- Medical establishments: (7).
- Educational establishments: (29).
- Parks and gardens: (4).
- Police stations: (6)
- Post offices: (4).
- Sacred buildings: (14).
- Military buildings: (9).
- Husbandry and maintenance buildings: (11).
- Associations: (8).
In the interwar Second Polish Republic, Stanisławow was the center of a Voivodeship of the same name (from 1921), and a district (Powiat), as well as the seat of a county court.
The city held important state institutions: the Voivodeship Administration, Voivodeship and Powiat State Police Administrations, Powiat Starosta Office, County and Municipal Courts. The city was administered by the "Magistrate" (until 1934), then by the City Administration (Uprawa), headed by the mayor.
City territory was significantly extended in 1924-1925 through the incorporation of a number of neighboring settlements, that had gravitated towards the city, practically merging with it for some time. Thus, to the City Center, and the four original suburbs, were added Districts V – XV: Górka, Knihinin, Pasieczańskie, Belweder, Zagwożdzieckie, Krechowieckie, Opryszowieckie, Kolonja, Kolonja-2, Mykietynieckie, Uhornickie , p. 13. As a result, the area of the city grew from 415.8 to 2227.5 hectares, compared to 1919 , p. 43/
In the 1920s the city, that had been strongly damaged in the First World War, saw renovation and reconstruction. The City Construction Committee was established within the city administration in 1925 , p. 71. Much attention was given to the widening of the sidewalks, maintenance of parks, green areas and street promenades, and the city's vegetated area was significantly increased. New streets were laid, including, among others, Dworska, Hoowera, Molotkowska, Pod Opatrznością Boską, and Kubisztala , p. 13.
Several comfortably equipped multi-storied buildings were built in the second half of the 1920s. Among these were the building of the Polish Association of Railway Workers, the Powiat Sick Bank, Dr. Gutt's Sanatorium, the Ursulian Nuns' School for Girls, the Public Works Administration, and others. The development of the city's industry intensified.
In 1929, a specialized "Ton" Cinema was constructed (known today as "Lumier"). In 1930 this became the first "talkie" cinema in the history of the city , p. 130. The city electric plant began operating in 1930, electrification of the city was in its concluding stages, and part of the city's sewage collectors began working.
As of 1929-1930, the city had 3,221 stone and 4,406 wooden buildings, 6,652 single-storied, 619 two-storied, 275 three-storied, 71 four-storied, and 7 five-storied residential buildings. The value of city property comprised 22.8 million Zlotys, and comprised real estate (buildings, squares, parks, green areas, etc.), the sewage, city enterprises, etc. , p. 51.
City population as of 1931 was 59,960 people. 41.4 per cent was Jewish, 37.2 per cent was Roman Catholic, 18.6 per cent of the population was Greek Catholic (Uniate), 2.5 per cent of the population practice other religious denominations.
The incorporation of suburban settlements significantly influenced the ethnic and denominational make up of the city, as, compared to 1921, the percentage of Ukrainians grew by 4.5 per cent, Poles – almost by 9 per cent, whereas the percentage of Jews declined by 15 per cent , p. 3.
As far as economic activity of the population was concerned, the largest percentage, 16.6 thousand people were employed in industry, 11.5 thousand in trade, almost 10 thousand in transport; over 7 thousand were in the service sector, 3 thousand were home servants, about 9 thousand were retired. , p. 150.
Symbols on legend:
Entry by: Oleh Zhernokleyev
Translated by: Pavlo Hrytsak