The plan shows the limits of the city of Stanisławow (renamed to Ivano-Frankivsk in 1962) with its suburbs, surrounding villages, as well as adjacent territories beyond city limits.
The plan dates to 1904. It was prepared for printing by Jan Babczyszyn. Babczyszyn was City Council Construction Inspector from 1898 through 1914. , p. 407.
The plan was printed at Antoni Przyszlak’s lithographical establishment in Lviv.
The legend provides a numbered list of institutions, grouped in a table.
- The upper left corner holds the plan's name: "Plan of the City of Stanisławów" (Plan miasta Stanisławowa).
- The lower left corner holds the key (Objaśnienie) to the legend. It also explains the layout of the city limits, and the district boundaries.
- The scale and ratio (1:5,000) are provided in the center, at the bottom of the map sheet.
- The lower right corner holds a table, entitled "Public buildings and institutions" (Oznaczenie budynków i zakładów publicznych), which comprises 74 objects.
- At the bottom of the map and to the left is the inscription: "Stanisławów 1904 R."
- Information on the publisher is provided at the bottom of the plan, in the middle: Lithography by A. Przyszlak (Lit. A. Przyszlak, Lwów).
- In the right corner, at the very bottom of the plan, is the inscription: Edited by Jan Babczyszyn (Opracował Jan Babczyszyn).
- Names of surrounding villages and territories are provided:
- From the northeastern side: "Knihynin Hill" (Knihynin Górka).
- From the east: "Knihynin Settlement" (Knihynin Kolonia).
- From the southern side: Opryszowce, Krechowce.
- From the western side: Knihynin Village (Knihynin Wieś).
- The plan was executed using color lithographic techniques.
- The plan is oriented northwards.
- The plan details the configuration of objects provided in the legend.
- Numbers of buildings are not provided.
- Names of city districts, major streets and some natural and public objects are provided directly on the map.
- City district boundaries are marked with a red dotted line.
- City limits are marked with a black dotted line.
- All object names on the plan are provided in the Polish language.
The plan’s toponymics include around 170 objects:
- Administrative buildings: (7).
- Pharmacies: (4).
- Banks, savings banks: (3).
- Streets, squares, roads: (82).
- Hydronyms: (1).
- Cultural establishments: (1).
- Care establishments: (4).
- Railway: (3).
- Casino: (1).
- Cemeteries: (2).
- Medical establishments: (3).
- Post offices: (3).
- Sacred buildings: (9).
- Military buildings: (10).
- Maintenance buildings: (7).
- Educational buildings: (14).
- Parks and gardens: (4).
- Miscellaneous: (13).
- Societies: (2).
Stanisławow was founded in 1662. By the early twentieth century, the city was capital of Stanisławow district (powiat) and court district within the Galician crownland of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy, as well as the seat of a Greek Catholic (Uniate) Bishop.
Agriculture still played a significnat role in the life of the population. Of the 1,069 hectares of city territory, 559 hectares were arable land, 132 hectares were meadows, 159 hectares were vegetable gardens, and 24 hectares were pastures. The city had 1,326 horses, 196 heads of cattle, and 389 pigs , p. 629.
The city underwent large-scale modernization in the late nineteenth century. The first railway track through the city was laid in 1866 (Lviv – Chernivtsi), a railway station was constructed the same year (and rebuilt in 1906-1908), and 1894 saw the construction of the Railway Administration building (the second Railway Administration to be built in the lands of Galicia and Bukovyna after Lviv). Towards the end of the nineteenth century, Stanisławów became a major railway junction, servicing 30 trains running in five directions , p. 78-79.
A telephone station began operating in the city in June 1894. Initially it had 12 subscribers, by 1901 the number was 41 , p. 81.
First electric lights were introduced in 1897 (at the railway station), and by the early twentieth century the city’s largest houses were powered by autonomous dynamos , p. 84-85. The early years of the twentieth century saw the arrival of automobiles in the city streets. The first cars belonged usually to local landowners and factory owners , p. 83.
As of the early twentieth century, the city was home to several dozen industrial companies (these were usually small – only four were officially factories) , p. 629. Among the largest and most important ones were the mechanical locomotive repair workshops, the city gas factory (operating since December 1902), the brewery, the Liebermanns yeast and alcohol factory, the J. Margoszes’ leather factory , p. 14-15.
1904 saw the construction of a new Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Unwearying Help in Stanisławow in 1904 (in today's 20, Hordynskoho St.), as well as a Regional School of Timber Industry, and a large new trading mall , p. 56.
The turn of the twentieth century was a time of cultural renaissance. A theater opened in 1892, along with the Moniuszko Music Society , p. 40. A Polish Gymnasium (high school) opened in 1904, with a Ukrainian counterpart opening next year, followed by another Polish school in 1907. 10 newspapers were being published in Stanisławow as of 1904, including 5 Polish, 2 Ukrainian, 2 German, and one Jewish , p. 52.
Like other cities and towns of Galicia, the central part of Stanisławow was gradually beginning to appear more and more like modern European cities. Many buildings had multiple stories, the streets were paved, and sidewalks appeared. The ground floors of buildings housed shops, ateliers, workshops, pharmacies, and coffeehouses , p. 193. In the early twentieth century the city was second the most well-kept city in Galicia after Lwow , p. 302.
According to the 1900 census, city territory comprised 1,069 hectares. City population was 30,410 persons, including 16,579 males, and 13,831 females (3,397 - military personnel).
The religious denominations represented in the city were Jews (14,106 faithful), Roman Catholics (9,653 faithful), Greek Catholics (Uniates, 5,952 faithful). Other denominations claimed 699 faithful. 23,319 people were speakers of Polish, 4,071 were speakers of Ruthenian (Ukrainian), 2,265 speakers of German. 485 people spoke other languages. The city had 1,966 buildings , p. 628.
Entry by: Oleh Zhernokleyev
Translated by: Pavlo Hrytsak