This hand-drawn map of Lviv provides a schematic demonstration of the city and its environs.
The map's author was Adalbert Karasek. The plan provides 1807 as its date.
A peculiarity of the map is the fact that it demonstrates fragments of F. Getkant's mid-seventeenth century fortifications in the territory of the Brody suburb , p. 223
- The upper right section provides the name of the map: "Plan of the City of Leopol" (Plan de Leopol).
- The left side provides a list of objects on the map (Explication).
- The lower part of the map provides information about the author: "Drawn by Adalbert Karasek, 1807" (Gezeichnet Adalbert Karasek A 807).
- The lower right section of the map provides the scale: "Scale 700 French Toises" (Echelle de 700 toises de France). Toise – was a measure of length, used in France prior to 1812, and corresponding to 1,949 meters.
- The map is hand-drawn and in color.
- District and city limits are not delineated.
- The map provides chief paths and roads and elements of hydrography (the river Poltva with its tributaries, and several ponds).
- Names of all objects on the map are provided in French. Information about the author is written in German.
- Sacred buildings: (47).
- Hills: (3).
- Fortifications and military buildings: (2).
- Schools: (1).
- Hospitals: (3).
Inconsistencies and inaccuracies on the map:
- Several objects mentioned in the legend, are not marked with numbers on the map.
- Some inconsistencies are evident in the names or location of several sacred buildings.
- The Church of St. Adalbert (14) is provided in the list of object, but is not marked on the map.
- Erroneously marked are the Armenian Church (11), the Order of Barefoot Carmelites (31), the Church of St. Nicholas (52), and the Church of St. Barbara (53).
- Inscriptions next to sacred buildings do not reflect the change in their function after the closure of most monasteries in the 1780s.
The map of Lviv provides a schematic outline of the urban environment characteristic of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Attention is given more to the artistic execution of the map, than its relevance to actual historical reality.
The map is one of the few to show fragments of defensive constructions by F. Getkant.
From a description of the city by Chodynicki, we can learn, that illumination of the city streets began in 1801. The next decade saw the start of paving the streets and roads, and their further maintenance , p. 443-444.
The city's population as of 1808 comprised 44,655 people, including 41,493 city residents, and 3,162 arrivals. A decrease in city population is evident in the early 1800s, due to epidemics , p. 35, 113;  p. 461.
Entry by: Serhiy Tereshchenko
Translated by: Pavlo Hrytsak