View of cathedral and Holy Spirit square (Ivana Pidkovy square now)



ID number:
09685
Title:
View of cathedral and Holy Spirit square (Ivana Pidkovy square now)
City:
Subject:
Cathedral, architecture, square, public garden, flowerbed, people
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1935-1939
Format:
14x9 cm
Copyright:
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03544
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 29х21 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, church
ID: 02161
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, building, architecture
ID: 02237
City: Lviv
Date: 1931
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Vavzhynets Daychak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, graphics
ID: 01671
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1930
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 02138
City: Lviv
Date: 1911
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: F. K. Ziołkowski, Poznan
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Discalced Carmelite sisters' church, Czarnieckiego St.
ID: 03211
City: Lviv
Date: 1901-1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Discalced Carmelites church, parish house, street
ID: 01641
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1910-1912
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 02868
City: Brody
Date: 1925
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Akropol", Krakow
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Church, cemetary, Koniecpolski family
ID: 01255
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Church, architecture, pillar of St. John of Dukla, the area

The building on Teatralna street 11 preserves the structure of two medieval townhouses in its basis and contains a part of the western wall of the town’s fortifications. It was built by well-known Lviv constructors, Mateo Brezani and Adolf Kamienobrodzki, and decorated by sculptor Leonard Marconi. The building was owned by respected Lviv citizens: Józef Poniński, the Hartmanns and the Zibers. Different institutions were located there, such as the Building Trade Credit Society, the state employment agency, the city address bureau, as well as various educational institutions in the Soviet time and later. The building is an architectural monument of local significance (protection no. 1039).

The Cathedral is the only object of Gothic architecture in Lviv, preserved in its integrity. Its tower, along with the City Hall, the Kornyakt tower, and the bell tower of the former Bernardine church are symbols of the city, dominating in the panorama of its central part.
At present this is the Roman Catholic Arch-Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also known as the Metropolitan Basilica, an architectural monument of national significance (protection number 316/0).

The monument to the Cossack kosh otaman was installed here in 1982. It was made by sculptor Petro Kulyk.